2 sec delay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rortec 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2003 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys,

Ok I put this topic within general discussions and not security as the problem I need help with is a general question. (Just in case you were wondering. lol)

Ok so here goes. I currently have a timer circuit set up which activates on a 12v+ lock pulse signal. The timer has a reset function which is triggered by 12v-. Now my unlock pulse signal which I need as the reset is 12v+, so I have used a relay to change it to 12v- ok so far.

The problem is that during ‘locking’ the signals are sent down both lock and unlock wires in order to double lock. Now if connected like this the circuit will never activate as it is reset before it has begun! Lol 

I have got round this problem by using a secondary timer circuit to delay the activation of the (+) to (-) relay by 2 seconds

My question is how can or what components can I use to ignore the first pulse from the unlock wire or delay the relay activation by 1-2 seconds (apart from a timer)?

I do hope that was understandable. All help very welcome.

Rory

Rortec 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

Just read my post and maybe it is a bit vague! lol

What i need is to delay a 12v+ signal by around two secs before it gets to a relay. Now i reckon there must be a simple way to do this, if you know how, that is!.

Any suggestions welcome...even if you think it will be too difficult to incorperate this.

Rory

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
What alarm or keyless entry are you using and what vehicle is this in? 
2 sec delay -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Rortec 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

This is in a 1997 Bmw M3 Evolution Euro version.The alarm is factory fit EWS 3 i think.

Im using the timer to perform total closure of all openings, which works fine. On 1997+ bmws it will total close by holding the key in the lock position, so i have used the timer to simulate that procedure

The reason i could do with the reset circuit is if you try and open the vehicle within the time i have set on the timer, it will deactive the alarm but not unlock the doors as there is a signal being sent to the locks.

The need for the 2 second delay on the relay reset circuit is this system sends a signal down both lock and unlock circuits at the same time,  which i believe double lock the doors. Now i have said earlier this will cause the timer circuit to reset as soon as you arm it, hence the need for a delay on the relay-reset.

The set up i have with two timer circuits works fine but i do feel that the 2nd timer that just delays the signal by two seconds to the reset relay seems a waste of that circuit and space, it obviously doubles the size of the unit! Also the cost.

So basically i need something that stops a 12v signal for around 2 secs

Hope this makes sense!

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
ok im trying to read this and figure it out, i can give you a circuit that will inhibit the relay from closing for any length of time up to 30 seconds, is that all you want? If so let me know.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

sorry i posted in the wrong thread

Rortec 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2003 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
lol, i want the complete opposite, to inhibit the relay from opening for 2 secs. There must be a way
MielGibson 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Try this, it might work.
You might have to change the capacitor to get a longer delay. Don't change the resistor to a higher value, it will limit too much the current to the relay.
How it works:
When power is applied, the capacitor "acts" like a short to ground, bypassing the relay.
The resistor limits the current so the capacitor won't charge 'til approx. 2 seconds after.
The input pulse should be longer than the output delay.
2 sec delay -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic