the12volt.com spacer
icon

New Headlights, Light Flash Issue with Viper 4806

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
garagejunkie34 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2020 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote garagejunkie34
I bought new aftermarket headlight assembly for my 2007 Toyota 4Runner. Keyed Ign, no push to start button.
The new headlights have a led strip to take the place of the parking lights. Strips flash when I lock/unlock the truck.
When they are on with the headlights, they are bright at night and wash out the turn signal bulb.
I wanted to have the led strip turn off when the headlights come on. So I wired up a relay per headlight.
30: 12v+
87: not used.
87a: to led strip
85: Ground
86: to low beam
And that works. Turn on parking lights, led strip is on. Turn on headlights, led strip off. Lock/Unlock, strips flash. Great!!
But now I wanted the led strips to be my daytime running lights. I did run with the parking lights on, but I just wanted the led strips up front illuminated, without having the rear parking lights or the dash lit up.
So I bought an add a fuse, and tried to tap in under the dash.
Did not work, anything I did would light up the instrument panels and the rear parking lights.
So I went under the hood, found an ign on fuse location and ran that to #30 on the relays.
Works great. But when I lock/unlock the truck, the strips do not flash.
Ok, so I ran a wire from the flash output wire from the viper, tapped into the wire going to #30.
Works, but pops the fuse at the add a tap. When this happens, lights flash still works but no drl's.
So now im stumped.
Searching through relay diagrams etc has my head swimming. Im tempted to take it back to where it was before trying to find the ign on source. I know this is a mess. Any ideas on how to get all of this to function correctly?
techcc 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2020 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote techcc
Sounds like you’re back feeding too much current. Could be fixed by adding diodes to isolate trigger wires on #30.
garagejunkie34 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2020 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote garagejunkie34
I’m not too familiar with diodes or how to install them. Do I basically cut the wire and solder to each end of the diode? Also where should I place it? Closer to the relay or closer to the fuse? And, what/which diode should I use?
Thank you for your help!
cpalmer 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2020 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cpalmer
Try this
85 Ground
86 Low beam
30 Led light
87A 12v+
87 Ign. from under hood
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2020 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
cpalmer wrote:
Try this
85 Ground
86 Low beam
30 Led light
87A 12v+
87 Ign. from under hood
No. The LED will be on at ALL times. Might as well wire the LED direct to the battery.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
The OP needs TWO relays for the LEDs. One wired to allow DRL function, but disable the LED when in Low Beam. NOTE: This relay is not exactly the same as the OP's opening post.
There are differences.
30: To LED Strip
87: not used.
87a: To Fused IGN source
85: Ground
86: to low beam
The second to allow light flash from the alarm:
30 LED Light
87 B+ Hot at all times
85 Ground
86 (+) Trigger Light flash from alarm / RS.
For (-) Trigger Light Flash:
85 (-) Trigger light flash from alarm / RS.
86 B+ Hot at all times.
NOTE: The LED Strips must be grounded directly to chassis ground for this to work. If the LED Strip is grounded to other lighting circuits (like the running lights), you may back-feed the running light circuit.
cpalmer 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2020 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cpalmer
Yep , you're right , had 87 and 87A reversed. oops.
garagejunkie34 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2020 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote garagejunkie34
Yep I popped the fuse at the add a tap when I rearranged the wires per cpalmer. I’ll go get some more supplies and try adding the relays to the new configuration.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic