the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ideas for Maestro Steering Wheel Control Needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elanlover 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2020 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote elanlover
Hi all, I'm working on a project involving the Maestro SW product that is a bit of a custom job and I'm asking for those smarter than me for some thoughts and suggestions. Here's the deal.
On the indicator stalk there are some unused buttons I want to repurpose and use as controls on a Kenwood head unit. The wiring on these controls is pretty simple - 3 buttons and 4 wires. One wire supplies the current. For two of the buttons, when you press them they complete the circuit and output current on their respective wires. On the third button, the connection is normally complete and pressing it interrupts the circuit. I do have the ability to modify that third button to operate like the other two (normally open) if that makes things easier. I can easily solder some resistors inline to each of the button's output wires to differentiate the signal from them and I can flash a custom program once figured out. So, my questions are about how I can make this completely custom setup do what I need it to do. Since I'm not an expert in wiring (but pretty handy and have done a fair bit of wiring already in this car) I would appreciate keeping any suggestions as simple and basic as possible.
On the Maestro unit itself the red and black wires have obvious connections as does the blue/yellow wire. It's the other wires I'm not sure of. After a quick call with IDatalink's tech support I was informed that the Purple/Red wire outputs +5V and that the unit wants to see that +5V at rest. If so, I can connect that to the wire on the stalk that supplies power. I'm also thinking that the Purple/Red wire (SW1 Circuit 1 Input) is similar in function to the Pink/Red (SW1 Circuit 2 Input) wire which would supply +5v for a second set of controls which, if true, I wouldn't need. The functions of the remaining wires (Purple/Yellow-SW1 Circuit 1 Output/Analog 1 Input, Pink/Yellow-SW1 Circuit 2 Output/Analog 2 Input, and Black/White-SW1 Ground Feed (-) Output) are a bit of a mystery to me. I understand that somehow I need to tie all three wires that are outputs of the stalk buttons together as the Maestro unit needs to everything coming in on one wire.
Sooooo......can anyone vastly more experience than me help out? Many thanks in advance!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic