the12volt.com spacer
icon

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, Viper 4806V

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rvaudioman 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2020 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rvaudioman
Have a few questions about my upcoming install.What other modules will i need for remote start and door locks? Also not clear on remote start wiring. Do i tap into the ignition wire or cut them and splice to the new harness?
Can anyone supply the DirectTechs wiring diagram for the 2002 Chevy Avalance and the Viper 4806V?
Thanks,
RV Audio
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2020 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Good news and bad news.
Here is some good news. The 2002 model is a bit unique. It's basically like the 1999-2002 Silverado and Sierra. Here is a link to a Pictorial on those vehicles. Your Avalanche should be the same.   https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=135786
More good news. The Viper 4806V is not an alarm system, only remote start and remote keyless entry. Some bad news on the 4806V. It is a Viper product and unless you have established an account with them, support will be limited. If you haven't done one before, it's a bit of a learning curve.
Some bad news. That vehicle has Type A locks and the Viper has only Type B lock outputs. Some good news. You can buy a Directed 451M Door Lock module that will plug into the Viper and with the correct wiring, do a polarity change on the Vipers' lock outputs from Type B to the Type A the vehicles needs.
Some more bad news. You will need a bypass module to handle the Passlock2 system. The good news is that there are many bypass modules available. While you could use a Directed 556LW, I would go for a Fortin INT-SL or INT-SL+. This is a data style bypass module that works very well. It has only a few connections and is easy to program. It comes pre-loaded with firmware.
Your best bet is to make up a chart with the Vipers harnesses and the proposed vehicle connections and post it for forum members review and recommendations.
Here is a link to the Bulldog Security wiring info :   http://diagrams.--/printlist.aspx?MakeID=13&ModelID=20340
Soldering is fun!
rvaudioman 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2020 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rvaudioman
Wow lots of good info here. Thanks for the quick reply.
So now i have a new Viper if anyone wants a great deal.
What products do you suggest for my 2002 Chevy Avalanche? I would like remote start, security and door locks. Need to make it simply and with good documentation.
Thank you for your advice.
RV Audio
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2020 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Your Viper 4806V is a nice unit but it doesn't include a security alarm system that monitors the doors, etc. If you need the aftermarket system to include alarm functions, then yes you need a different system.
All aftermarket system manufacturers have rules about supplying support to non-dealers and DIYers. That doesn't mean you can't get and use their system, it's just a bit more difficult finding documentation and learning everything on your own. This site has a Wiring Diagrams and Downloads sections that will provide most of the info you need. Finding a "cook book" or complete step by step install plan for what you want to do might not be possible. The bottom line is that you will be the one actually installing the system into your truck. You must locate and test the necessary wires. As you can see by the Pictorial, most of the wires are shown but there are bundles of wires in looms with many wires having the same color combo. The ability to use a Digital Multi Meter and soldering iron are very important.
Most installers have their favorite brands and these favorites are due to prior experience and their dealer relationships. Because of that, I'm not sure if my choices would be best for a DIYer. My suggestion would be to stay with a major brand ( Prestige, Compustar, Viper, etc ) and research for a model that meets all of your needs ( features, range, remote style, etc ). You will still need the Directed 451M Door Lock module ( or 2 SPDT relays ) and a bypass module. Your truck is old school and pretty standard so most any system should work. Let the forum know your choices and we can review them to add input. Once that is settled, you can make up a proposed wire connection chart for forum review and suggestions.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic