Is a Rem.Starter for stickshift dangerous

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Preimmortal 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have been reading up on Manual Transmission remote starters and some say that they are not SAFE. Can anyone help me out on this?

Thank you!

Discman 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
The only safe remote start I've used is the Intellistart 4 from Clifford.
It is an accessory for their G4 line and can even handle diesel engines.
The main thing the IS4 does is it shuts down the car for you when you arm the alarm. That way it knows the vehicle is in neutral. It will also not allow remote start if the alarm was tripped because the car might have been put in gear.
There is no way to guarantee the vehicle won't be left in gear at some point or after a theft so don't ever attempt to use a remote start that is meant for automatic / fuel injected vehicles.
In my 20+ years installing 12v electronics, Clifford has the best Security & Convenience Products.
Mr_Kite 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have a stick, and i plan on using remote start by installing a reed switch.  The reed switch acts as a neutral start switch and wont allow the remote start to activate while in gear.  Search for reed switch on this site for more info.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
Discman, dont forget to mention the most expensive when you sya that Clifford is the best.
I cant say anything bad about Clifford, but there are plenty of good alternatives that will fit your budget.
Preimmortal, you should not install a remote starter that is not designed for a manual transmission vehicle like Mr_Kite is doing. If the switch he is installing ever fails, you could kill someone in a worst case scenario, and in the most likely case you would ruin some sort of property.
Its like Discman said, the units designed for manual trnasmission vehicles make you leave the car running, put the car in neutral, set the emergency brake, then get out of the car. Then you need to shut off the car with the remote. Then you are in what is commonly referred to as "ready mode". The car will now start if you press the start button on the transmitter. However, if a door is opened, the unit will exit ready mode, and will not start remotely again until you re-enter ready mode.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic