the12volt.com spacer
icon

Two Triggers, One Output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kniggt3136 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kniggt3136
Hello everyone. Im trying to install two side view cameras to my lcd rear view mirror. The rear view mirror has two input with one trigger. One of the video input is already taken with rear camera. I need to connect the two cameras to second video output.
My issue is connecting the two trigger cables from dash cams to the trigger cable from rear view mirror.
I tried it by connectting all three cables but ended up having the mirror showing both sideways camera video distorted.
My plan is connect each camera to delay switch, so when it receives the signal let say from left turn signal it would send 12v to turn on the camera and also connect the relay switch that would send 12v to trigger cable of the mirror. Im going to need two delay switch for each camera and two relay switch. I need to know how do I go about connecting both relay switches to one trigger cable.
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,663
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2020 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
You wrote:   I need to connect the two cameras to second video output.   Did you mean second video input?
I am guessing that the only trigger is what switches from the video input to the rear camera input.
Are you wanting the side view only to come on when your turn signals are active?
kniggt3136 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2020 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kniggt3136
Sorry, yes my second video input.
I only want them to come on when i put the turn signal on.
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 20, 2020 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Build this twice, once for left and once for right
On the left one, the 12 volts out to turning lamp needs to power the camera.
On the right one that wire needs to power the camera and also power 86 of a third relay.
Ground 85 of the third relay.
You will need to get some RCA cables and strip them to expose the center conductor and the outer connection, (the Shield). You need 3. One will go from third relay to the video input at the mirror. The other 2 need to go to the cameras.
Twist the 3 shields together and solder and insulate them.
Following are instructions for the center conductor of the RCA cables.
Mirror one to terminal 30 of the third relay.
Left camera to 87A
Right camera to 87
kniggt3136 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2020 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kniggt3136
SO I need in total 3 relay switches and 3 RCAs cables ?
Relay 1 ? is for the left camera and relay 2 is for the right camera, while relay 3 takes input from the other two relays and send it to the mirror?
What cables do I need to connect to relay 1 and 2 ?
Since one of the input of the mirror is connected, the RCA cable going from the relay to the mirror's second input right? what about the trigger cable of mirror. The first input is always on, how will the mirror know to switch over from input one to input 2?
Here what I got from your explanation
Relay 1
Pin 30 - ACC 12V
Pin 85 - Ground
Pin 87A - nothing
Pin 87 - Power on Camera on the left side
86 - Left turn signal
Relay 2
Pin 30 - ACC - 12V
Pin 85 - Ground
Pin 87A - nothing
Pin 87 - Power on Camera on the Right side
86 - Left turn signal
Relay 3
Pin 30 - RCA to Mirror
Pin 87A - RCA to left camera
Pin 87 - RCA to right camera
Pin 85 - Ground
Pin 86 - Connected to right turn signal
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2020 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If it is the mirror I am familiar with, the only thing that needs to switch is the reverse camera. From what I remember the video input is signal sensing. When it sees video it turns on.
With the mirror powered up and no signal on the input, does it display a blue screen? If not, we are good.
Relay 1, 30 to camera.
Relay 2 30 to camera and 86 of relay 3
87 on 1 and 2 go to accessory power.
86 on relay 3 connects only to output of relay 2. Not the turn signal
The terminal that is labeled 12v output to turning lamps goes to the appropriate camera.
kniggt3136 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kniggt3136
The rear view mirror is connected to a second cámara that shows the back it doesnt act as a reverse camara. When I turn on the car the mirror shows the back cámara. This is the first input.
I want a relay system that when I select right or left turn signal it would send a signal to the cameras trigger cable that will switch from first input to the second and it willshow that cámara on mirror.
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2020 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Unplug the camera from the input. Power the mirror up. Does it show a blue screen with nothing connected to either video input?
The trigger wire switches it to the other input. Camera input. If it does not display a blue screen, we are good.
kniggt3136 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2020 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kniggt3136
When both inputs are disconnected and mirror is on both screens are blue. When I put a 12v to tbe trigger it switches between input 1 and 2. After taking 12v off then it goes back to first input.
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2020 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
What is the make and model of this mirror? It has 2 separate displays inside the 1 mirror?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic