the12volt.com spacer
icon

2006 Toyota Highlander, Remote Start/Security

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
highrevs2k 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2020 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote highrevs2k
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I have searched and I have a few questions about installing a remote start and security in my '06 highlander and a few questions about product selection.
I've searched on this forum and google and YouTube, on this website I found this thread
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=141096
Which was helpful but gave me more questions than answers.
Firstly, through shopping around on crutchfields website and reading on this forum, for my specific vehicle, diodes are supposed to be used for the door locks, but in that write up I linked, the guy says he used Xpresskit XK01..
I tried to search for that model but it comes up for gm vehicles. I'm not sure if xpresskit changed the model number to something else or has discontinued it BUT to all the gurus out there - are the diodes in-fact necessary or is there a module like the xk01 that can be used?
I'm looking to purchase a viper unit with 2-way led remotes and security. Can anyone direct me to a website or give me product numbers of any and all accessories I'll need such a wiring harnesses, relays, interfaces or bypasses. The only helpful website is crutchfield but I dont particularly like the unit they offer and the other websites such as pcrichard, bestbuy or even viper themselves wont list any of this items for obvious reasons.
I was also told by crutchfield tech that all Toyota vehicles with remote start with shut off if the door is opened , is there any way to prevent this?
Thank you all in advance.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2020 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The XK01 module will handle the door locks through data but it must be flashed with the TOYDL firmware. Think it comes with AMDL Ver6 firmware from the factory so you would need to flash it with TOYDL before use. Flashing the XK01 would require Dealer access and a XKLoader2 or 3 cable.    There is a way to handle the door locks with a relay and some diodes. Search the Downloads section for TechTip 1070.
You will need an extra relay to handle all to the Highlanders ignition circuits ( two IGN's, two Starters and one ACC ).
The Highlander does have a transponder based security system so you would need a bypass module. There are many available and depending on the R/S system you decide on, some are more appropriate than others.
Soldering is fun!
highrevs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2020 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote highrevs2k
Thanks for such a fast response. Ok so I'm assuming since it needs to be flashed and like you said, i would need dealer access, there would be no way for me to go about doing that unless I was to have a shop do the install for me, correct?
These are the items I was recommended to buy with the viper rs. Will these products work with a different model viper as well?
2006 Toyota Highlander, Remote Start/Security -- posted image.
2006 Toyota Highlander, Remote Start/Security -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2020 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
First, those prices are very high...
You can get the SPDT 30/40 Amp relays on EBay for a lot less. They are generic and can be used on any R/S system. Five for $10.21
The FLCAN is a bit of overkill for the Highlanders transponder bypass needs. It would need to be flashed with the (TB)-TL firmware which is a similar process to the XK01 - special cable and WEB site access. You could use a Fortin Key-Override-ALL bypass module for that and save a few bucks. It comes pre-loaded with the correct firmware. Figure about $35. Below is a link to that install guide : https://cdn02.fortin.ca/download/41661/koa.toyotahighlander_0409.pdf
I'm not sure why you need the 451M door lock module. Either the XK01 w/TOYDL firmware or a relay and 3 diodes is all you need.
Also on EBay you can get a pack of 1N4007 diodes for all of those uses. Ten for $1.65
Does your Highlander have the Factory Alarm system?
Soldering is fun!
highrevs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2020 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote highrevs2k
I had already planned on sourcing all the parts myself from ebay and amazon I was just showing what I was recommended basically to find out if it was correct so I knew what I had to look for. My car has remote lock/unlock but no alarm.
kreg357 
Posted: October 30, 2020 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The basic aftermarket R/S with RKE and alarm functions will monitor the doors, rear hatch and hood. Most system's will also provide a Starter Kill function. You will be running a bunch of wire connections and going into the engine compartment with the siren, hood pin and Tach.
You should probably verify that your car has a transponder based engine immobilizer, some Toyota didn't come with one. Just wrap the ignition key head area with about 5 layers of aluminum foil and try to start the engine. Only try once and look for a "Security" type indicator on the dash. If it doesn't start, you need a bypass module.
Soldering is fun!
highrevs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2020 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote highrevs2k
Ok I'll try that out. I was also told that toyotas with remote starts installed will turn off when the door is opened. Is this true and if so is there a way around it?
kreg357 
Posted: October 31, 2020 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
I was also told that toyotas with remote starts installed will turn off when the door is opened. Is this true and if so is there a way around it?
That is not true with your older non-PTS vehicle. Your regular key Highlander will continue running until time out or key-take-over.
Soldering is fun!
highrevs2k 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2020 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote highrevs2k
Kreg I really appreciate all your help, thank you so much for taking time out of your day to assist me in this quest for information.
https://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/toyota/highlander/2006-standard-key/
If you click on regular installation, it seems simple enough. would the set up be the same (obviously different color wires froma.different brand).
Also what do you guys as experts in this field think of the fortin brand?
kreg357 
Posted: October 31, 2020 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Fortin is a solid brand. While I prefer iDatalink for most applications, I have used Fortin a lot for old vehicle bypass module needs.
The Key-Override-ALL is mentioned above is a Fortin product and listed as a solution to the right on that WEB page.
The link you provided only shows the EVO-ALL and EVO-ONE. Both of those units would require the Fortin FlashLink cable. Site access is not restricted, if you had the FlashLink cable ($45), you could flash it yourself. However, as with all bypass module manufacturers, no Tech Support will be available for a DIYer. The EVO-ONE regular install diagram is a nice aid but as you mentioned, only the vehicle wires would be helpful. Here is a link to another install diagram for the iDataStart equivalent system :
     https://images.idatalink.com/vehicle-install-guides/Guides/476/341/17977/EN/RST-TLK-[CMHCXA0]-(Toyota_Highlander_2006_17977)-EN_20200918_140700.pdf
Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic