the12volt.com spacer
icon

Identifying What I Bought? Compustar CM6200, Viper Remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ctroyp 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ctroyp
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having me!
I just purchased a truck (2006 F350) from an auction. Tt came with what I believe is a remote start or car alarm (or both). The module under the dash is a CM6200 and based on my research, it is a Compustar, but does not have the "module" installed. On the keychain, it has a viper remote. Please see pics below. Should this remote even be compatible? Nothing seems to work with the remote, but it does light when buttons are pressed. It does not lock/unlock and does not remote start or arm/disarm as far as I can tell.
I would like to get this working if possible. What do I need to do?
Thanks for any help!
Identifying What I Bought? Compustar CM6200, Viper Remote -- posted image.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
That looks like a Viper remote, so it's not compatible with your Compustar system. You can Google the FCC ID number on the back of the remote for more information.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The Compustar CM6200 is a R/S w/RKE system. The Blade cartridge is not necessary on that truck because it does not have a transponder based immobilizer system. There should be a plastic cover over the slot/pins. Without a Blade cartridge there would be no harness plugged into the CN-3 port. It has a 4 Pin antenna plugged into the Blue connector at CN-7, so follow that up the the windshield and see what type antenna is in use. That will tell you what type of remotes you need. In reality you could just spend $40 on a basic RF Kit if you wanted to see if the system worked. The RF Kit comes with two remotes, the antenna and the 4 pin harness.   Search EBay on " Compustar Remote Kit ". There are many options available. Get a 4 button remote kit because it looks like the system is connected to the trucks power locks ( CN-4 is in use ). Programming new remotes is very easy.
Never tried but I don't think the DEI remotes will pair or work with the Compustar system.
Soldering is fun!
ctroyp 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ctroyp
geepherder wrote:
That looks like a Viper remote, so it's not compatible with your Compustar system. You can Google the FCC ID number on the back of the remote for more information.
Thanks, but I'm guessing I'll need a compustar remote.
ctroyp 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ctroyp
kreg357 wrote:
The Compustar CM6200 is a R/S w/RKE system. The Blade cartridge is not necessary on that truck because it does not have a transponder based immobilizer system. There should be a plastic cover over the slot/pins. Without a Blade cartridge there would be no harness plugged into the CN-3 port. It has a 4 Pin antenna plugged into the Blue connector at CN-7, so follow that up the the windshield and see what type antenna is in use. That will tell you what type of remotes you need. In reality you could just spend $40 on a basic RF Kit if you wanted to see if the system worked. The RF Kit comes with two remotes, the antenna and the 4 pin harness.   Search EBay on " Compustar Remote Kit ". There are many options available. Get a 4 button remote kit because it looks like the system is connected to the trucks power locks ( CN-4 is in use ). Programming new remotes is very easy.
Never tried but I don't think the DEI remotes will pair or work with the Compustar system.
Is this the antenna?
ANT-2WSP
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Yes, that is it. Looks like a 2-Way system with 3,000 foot range was installed. While you could replace it with a less expensive 1-way kit with 1,000 to 1,500 foot range, here are links to the original remotes.
Here is a link to Compustar for replacement remotes : https://shop.myfirstech.com/arctic-start.html?attribute_b=322
Search in EBay for a full kit with " RF-P2W902-SP ".   Looks like $70 for a new kit.
Soldering is fun!
ctroyp 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ctroyp
Thank you very very much for the help!
ctroyp 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ctroyp
kreg357 wrote:
Yes, that is it. Looks like a 2-Way system with 3,000 foot range was installed. While you could replace it with a less expensive 1-way kit with 1,000 to 1,500 foot range, here are links to the original remotes.
Here is a link to Compustar for replacement remotes : https://shop.myfirstech.com/arctic-start.html?attribute_b=322
Search in EBay for a full kit with " RF-P2W902-SP ".   Looks like $70 for a new kit.
I was looking at the link you provided and it was to an Arctic Start. I see that there is a similar Compustar as well. Does it matter which one I get?
Also, will this provide notification that my car alarm has been triggered as well?
kreg357 
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Arctic Start is a sub-division of Compustar. The remotes will be the same and are interchangeable except the name stamped on them. The CM6200 system does is not an alarm system so it will not have a siren. The CM6000 system is an alarm system.
Soldering is fun!
ctroyp 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2020 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ctroyp
I may go ahead and go with an alarm system then. Could you recommend a good alarm system that might wake me up in the hotel room via an audible remote if the alarm triggers? And also have remote start? We had a VERY bad experience traveling with the family a few years ago...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic