icon

Stock Toyota amp w/ new after market radi

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
othater 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

Is it posible to use the factory toyota amp with a aftermarket radio. The factory radio/amp is running the stock 10 speakers. ( 1994-Toyota Landcruiser ) The factory radio's CD player died so i'd like to just replace the radio. I've been looking at the harnesses and they only say 4-6 speaker systems?? I would like to replace the radio myself.

Can anyone direct me on the setup.

Thanks ahead of time.

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

I believe all you'll need is a harness like the BestKits BHA8112 Toyota Amp integration harness.  If your aftermarket head unit does not have two sets of preamp outputs, you'll need to use two y-adapters to connect the single pair of RCA preouts to the 2 pairs of preamp outputs of the BHA8112.  Just remember with y-adapters you will lose the ability to fade front to rear.

Your head unit's speaker ouputs wires (greeen, purple, white, and grey) will not be used so just tape each one off.  Make sure none of the exposed parts touch each other or the chassis of the vehicle.  The rest of the connections between your aftermarket head unit and the BHA8112 will all be color-coded so it is a pretty straightforward installation.

There is a slight possibility that the factory amplifiers use a different type of signal input, in which case the hookup will be a little more complicated. Instead of the BHA8112, you'd need the BHA8110 and the Peripheral VEN 4.5 interface.  The VEN4.5 just goes in between your head unit's harness, and the BHA8110 harness.  And then the BHA8110 plugs in to the plug that was connected to your factory radio.

I think you're only going to need the first harness (the one with the RCAs) and it costs a lot less than the interface and the other harness, so if for some reason the one with the RCAs did not work and you couldn't return it, it's not gonna kill your wallet.  If you do it the other way around though and it turns out you need the RCA harness, you're out like 60 bucks.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
othater 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply Esmith,

The factory harness that is plugged into the factory radio does not have RCA connectors, just a single harness plugs into the factory radio, but there is also two other harnesses just hanging. ( not sure if its for the radio/amp or not ). it looks like a standard Metra or Scosche type single box connector would plug into it.

The new CD/Radio also only has colored ends ( its not a high end model ) . 30 W per channel.

Any other ideas.

Thanks

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2003 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

The only reason there are RCA connectors in the BHA8112 harness is because those would be hooked up to the aftermarket head unit's RCA preamp outputs.  Am I understanding you correctly that your aftermarket head unit does not have any preamp outputs?  That is very unusual for any head unit these days, even the lower-end models.

It sounds like the BHA8112 is in fact the correct harness for you to use because it is just a single plug just like the way you said it is in your vehicle (single plug into the factory radio).  However, if your aftermarket head unit does indeed not have any preamp outputs, then the BHA8112 alone is not enough to complete the installation.  You will also need an adapter like this Scosche SLC-4.  This will get an input from your aftermarket head unit's 4 pairs of speaker output wires, and then output 2 pairs of RCA-type line-level signals.  The BHA8112's  male RCA plugs will plug directly into the 2 pairs of female RCA outputs of the SLC-4.  The SLC-4 is adjustable so you can fiddle with the level controls of each channel until it sounds the way you want it to.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic