the12volt.com spacer
icon

Connector Sizing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bmwstephen 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2021 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bmwstephen
hi all- I am working with some wiring in an area on my car that requires to use of butt/posi-lock connectors due to the tight clearance. One question, I have always had was if connector sizing results in reliability issues? For example, when trying to splice some 16awg wire together, the copper strand ends fit a butt connector sized 20awg. Would there be any issue at the butt connector joint down the future if the sizes are mismatched?
I know the general consensus is that the wire gauge cannot be mismatched but there isn't any data on the connector sizing.
In case anyone is wondering what I am doing, I am trying to rewire the speaker wires directly to my new headunit using the factory wiring. To do so, I would need to take the existing speaker wires before and after they intercept at the factory amp and splicing each wire to the respective speaker; thereby bypassing the amp. I want to make sure I am doing it right because short of running new wires, I want to do as clean as a splice job to prevent any resistance or impedance issues for the speakers.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2021 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
Take the amplifier out and then take it to an decent car audio installation company and see if they sell a bypass harness that would have the proper plugs. If that is not an option, see if there are any harness adaptors that have the right sized terminals in it to use and basically allow you to make up your own harness adaptor. This adaptor you will make up will be done by extracting the connectors and wires out of an aftermarket harness adaptor and then throwing away the housing and then soldering the wires together you can make up your own amp bypass setup and not have any factory wiring cut. To make all of these loose wires secure and safe, use some heat shrink tubing on any exposed terminals sticking out and then loop the wires back onto the other wires and add a cable tie.   
Thinking about this too, if it's amplifier you can find used and possibly broke off of a donor car, take it apart and take out the input and output connectors in it to make up your own amplifier bypass setup using short wires solder to the proper spots in each plug.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
bmwstephen 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2021 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bmwstephen
Jim - it is not possible to develop a harness. The amp in my car has built in cross over so it is at the PCB board level. again soldiering and heat shrinking is not an option in this area of the car. Crimp connectors are the only option but goes back to my original question whether crimp's sizing impacts voltage capacity and impedance.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2021 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
Good luck with your project.
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic