the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2002 Volkswagen Passat, Door Speaker Upgrades, Suggestions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mark o 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mark o
First post! My daily driver, a 2002 Passat GLS wagon has been fine for listening to the radio, but for music it’s just fair. I replaced the dead factory head unit with Alpine’s iLX-W650, and I’m pretty happy with it, but the factory speakers are nearly 20 years old and one rear midwoofer is completely out. I’m not sure if it’s the driver or the factory amp.
My goal, if you could help me, is to replace the front and rear door speakers with moderately good drivers(raw drivers are preferred from a cost to performance ratio). I’ve been out of the car audio biz for so long, I feel a little stupid. I’m not really interested in a sub/ sat three way system, but would be willing to add a small amp if that’s the best way to go. I’m not trying to scare the neighbors, just improve the listening experience in the car.
First on my list is replacing the midwoofers. Suggestions?
I’m retired from car audio installing for a living, but I haven’t forgotten everything I learned.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2021 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Hi there. Any 6" to 6.5" component set should drop in. Be sure to remove one of the OEM woofers and check depth so you can choose replacements that will fit.
Support the12volt.com
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
i never give product advice since speakers are a personal preference item and like mentioned there 6.5 speakers and there is a million to choose from. Advice I will give is be very careful pulling the door panels, with it being a 2002 there is gonna be some from of dry rot and the panels and they will crack easily along with any of the window modules/door lock switches also brake easily. You will need 1' speaker spaces for the new speakers. The factory speakers are riveted to the door so you have to drill them out.
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic