the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2017 Dodge Charger, Kill Switch That Allows Remote Start To Function?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
upspoon 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2021 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote upspoon
Hey all!
Forgive me if I missed a post in regards to this topic. After attempting to search for it several times all searches resulted in zero posts.
So as the topic states:
-I own a 2017 Dodge charger SXT rallye AWD.
-I would like to install a killswitch that will allow the remote start to operate normally, but will not allow someone to start the vehicle proper (with or without key), without first defeating the killswitch. I live in Canada, and in the winter the car needs to warm before taking off, and I would like to have piece of mind that if someone wants to steal it, they'd have to find the killswitch and deactivate it prior to any attempts to getting away with the car.
- (I think(correct me if I'm wrong.)) that I've deduced that I would have to interrupt one of the conditions that the vehicle looks for when attempting to start it proper. My idea was to interrupt the brake pedal signal to The computer (again this is my theory, I could most certainly be incorrect, or there might be a better way that I haven't considered) as the pedal must be depressed in order to start proper and is a queried condition by the vehicles CPU in the start process.
My main issue is that in my perusal of the wiring diagrams, there are several lines coming from the brake pedal motion sensor. I'm not sure about which one(s) that I would have to interrupt. I'm more than willing to try it, but I would like my first attempt to be the best possibility for Success.
I'm thinking that the wire 'brk Sig 1' that goes from the ABS system to the BCM may be the one to interrupt.
I was thinking I could also interrupt the ignition switch signal, but haven't concluded yet whether this is a queried condition for. The remote start to function yet.
Any and all help/enlightening in regards to this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!!
-->"Upspoon"<--
2017 Dodge charger SXT rallye AWD
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 07, 2021 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
There is a Violet/Lt.Blue wire at the start stop button. This is the wire that changes state when you press the start stop button. I am thinking that if you interrupt that wire it may do what you want to do.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2021 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
A problem I see is interrupting wiring of the brake position sensor. Whichever module it is connected to will probably see the open circuit as a fault, and trigger a warning light, possibly more...driveability issues? I have the wiring diagrams for a 2018 Charger btw.
upspoon 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2021 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote upspoon
So I've tried interrupting this wire(Lt blue/violet from ignition switch), and the if ignition will still turn on proper when the switch is in the off position, while the remote start is engaged.
Also, when the killswitch is in the off position, the ignition position switch will still scroll the vehicle through the ignition modes of the vehicle (off, acc, run).
Interrupting this wire seems to have had no effect on turning the vehicle on either normally, or after remote start, regardless of killswitch position.
Any other suggestions?
-->"Upspoon"<--
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 02, 2021 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
That wire is labeled start. You stated that it will still go through the 3 modes, off, acc and run. Will it start when the switch is activated?
upspoon 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2021 at 5:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote upspoon
So on my schematic for the starting circuit for 7th Gen chargers, the violet/blue wire is labeled as 'ignition switch position' and goes from the keyless ignition node module to the radio frequency hub module.
The vehicle acts as if the switch does not exist, regardless of the state/position of the killswitch. That applies to all power up modes (off, acc, run), as well as starting the vehicle. It's like the switch isn't doing anything (provided my understanding of the signal passed through that wire is correct, which it very well might not be).
The vehicle starts regardless of killswitch position, and both from off, and after remote start.
I have tested the switch for continuity and resistance in both states, and it operates nominally.
I'm wondering if I should interrupt the brake signal wire instead.
-->"Upspoon"<--
upspoon 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2021 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote upspoon
Just in case anyone is interested or has this same question in the future, I managed to figure it out.
The light blue and violet wire (Ignition switch position wire) has a redundant signal going through the security K line also wired into the ignition switch. That is why my original killswitch that interrupted the light blue/violet wire didn't work.
Instead i chose to interrupt the red power wire to the ignition switch only, this completely powers down the ignition switch (It can't change positions or states) until the killswitch is defeated.
Because the ignition switch is not queried prior to remote start, the remote start works to spec. and when i get in, i simply throw the kill switch, power is restored to the ignition switch, and the car starts as normal. No codes, no BS no nothing!
-->"Upspoon"<--

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic