the12volt.com spacer
icon

2010 Ford Expedition, New Radio Does Not Power Up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kadsura 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2021 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kadsura
Newbie here. Trying to install an aftermarket head unit myself for the first time and couldn't get it to work.
The vehicle is an 2010 Ford expedition SSV. OEM radio works fine.
Disconnected old radio. Connected a 24pin wire harness in:
Ignition
Battery
Ground
All speaker wires (8 of them)
Power antenna
Turned on car and screen on the new radio wouldn't come on. I do notice there is a 16 pin connector I'm not using. There are 2 wires on the 16 pin connector and I don't know what they are.
Also, I'm noticing I'm not using pin 15 on the 24pin connector which is a light grey/violet wire. Also do not know what that is.
Any help would be much appreciated! I tried searching the 16 pin connector diagram for this particular model/year, with no luck.
aznrac3r4lyf3 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2021 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote aznrac3r4lyf3
can you provide what wiring harness you are using? if it a harness without a module attached to it than more than likely your issue is the ignition wire.
kadsura 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kadsura
Just a metra 70-5521. So I do have to have a module,right? What type should I get?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
You can find a switched power source to connect your new radio's red wire to. If you look at your current harness you will notice that on the car side of the red wire of the 5521 there is no wire connected to it.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
kadsura 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kadsura
You are absolutely right, when I look closely, the red wire is connecting to nothing on the car side (pin 2).
When you say a switched power source what does that mean? Sorry I am quite a newbie to electronics and pretty much knows nothing in this realm.
I do happen to have a 12v cigarette lighter that I will be replacing with a USB. So the car side wire/connector for the 12v is just dangling there. Can I use that? Should I just cut it and hardwire to the red wire on the radio side, would that provide power?
Thanks for your help already, it is making more sense now.
kadsura 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kadsura
So I hardwired the new radio into the 12v port wire (a very thick one) and it now works. All speakers are working which is great. I don't have steering wheel control or need anything fancy so that works for me.
Problem now is the screen seems to be always on... even when my car is off. Is that by design? I didn't think the 12v port would be always on, I could inadvertantly drain the battery? Now, I could manually turn off the screen, but it's an extra step.
Car (once again) is a 2010 Ford Expy SSV.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
Yes, the power port is connected to battery power, it doesn't switch off.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Switched power source = something that turns off when the key is turned off.
Use a volt meter to verify, I do not think either of the Accessory wires will work. You may have to use the White/Orange ignition wire. Put a 1 amp fuse where you tap into this wire. Run it to the red wire of the new radio. Disconnect it from the cigarette lighter wire that you have it connected to.
2010 Ford Expedition, New Radio Does Not Power Up -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 26, 2021 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Above picture is of the underside of your steering column. You will have to remove the knee bolster.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic