the12volt.com spacer
icon

ADS DL GM on 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Stopped Working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gearsandtech_yt 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2021 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gearsandtech_yt
Hello,
I am new to the board and am experiencing an issue that was totally self imposed based on my ignorance (wanted to get that out of the way)
I have an 06 Chevy Avalanche bought used with a remote starter / Keyless entry. I believe the Starter is Compustar ( haven't actually accessed the module to check) It does have the Idatastart ADS DL GM module for the ignition interface.
The remote start was working great until yesterday when I was looking at swapping the one way remote for a longer range 2 way remote. In the process I pushed the program button on the ADS Dl module. The LED started blinking and my Keyless entry and remote start stopped working.
I was able to reset the ADS DL module, then 'program' it so that the keyless entry is working again. But, when I try to remote start the hazard lights flash a single time, pause, then 2 more short blinks.
The car does not start.
Since this install was working fine until I pushed the program button I believe the issue is strictly around programming the module correctly, but, no matter what document I reference it seems like Im missing something in the programming procedure.
I realize this post is getting long already. But I can explain what I have done
Disconnect ADS DL module.
while holding the reset button down I plug in the 4 wire data connector
keep holding till the light blinks red
when light stays on solid I connect the other connections back up
light begins flashing green 1 blink repeatedly.
I hold down the program button to save Mode 1 (data), light turns to solid green
On this step I have tried a couple different ways
Turn key to start (meaning the truck actually starts and runs)
Light turns solid green
turn car off, then try remote start with no luck
I have also tried that above process with only turning the key to RUN
Still no start
If its obvious what I'm missing please let me know!
Something else that I don't understand, the programming document tells me how to check the year of my vehicle, but I don't understand if the module needs to know that info somehow, or how it would be entered.
I look forward to seeing what ideas you guys have in solving this. Its cold in Canada. I need my starter to work again.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2021 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Looks like you reset and re-programmed the ADS DL w/GM1 firmware correctly. You did select and lock in DATA Mode so make sure the Data Cable is used ( & you are not wired in W2W mode ).
Typically a Compustar unit will flash the Parking Lights 3 times and then flash the R/S Error Code. I would visually verify exactly what Brand and Model R/S unit you have.
It could be something as simple as the need to re-learn the Tach signal on the R/S unit.
Just be aware that the ADS GM1 firmware has been known to stop outputting a valid Tach signal. With those vehicles, I always run a hardwire Tach connection from the R/S to the White Tach wire in the instrument cluster harness.
Soldering is fun!
gearsandtech_yt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2021 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gearsandtech_yt
If it's the tach cable would it try to start, then shut off when it doesn't get a tach signal?
It never does try to start. It just blinks the lights
I did try programming the ads dl unit in mode two as well, but I only have a couple wires going to the unit, so it seems like it's hooked up as data mode
When I get home tonight I'm going to pull the lower dash apart to see what the rs unit actually is.
I don't mind running the tach signal off the dash if that's all it needs.
Thanks for the help
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2021 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
If it's the tach cable would it try to start, then shut off when it doesn't get a tach signal?
If the R/S is programmed to Tach Mode and the Tach signal was never learned, it would act like your present condition. Did you disconnect the vehicles battery or pull the R/S fuses? Some R/S systems will keep the learned Tach signal and some won't. Learning the Tach signal on a Compustar unit is pretty simple. Just need to know exactly what R/S unit you have.
Soldering is fun!
gearsandtech_yt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2021 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gearsandtech_yt
The rs is auto start brand model 1775
I connected a meter to the tach signal and it is getting a signal. The wiring goes up into the dash area, but I can't say for sure that it's on the tach wire up there. I would guess so since it for sure does not come from the ads unit
So, I'm looking at teaching it the tach signal. Even though I'm not sure why it wouldn't have it. I never pulled the battery connection or the fuse. And when I changed the battery last year in the truck I never had to relearn the tach.
But, for the sake of completeness I am looking to do that anyway
Problem now is that I can't seem to get into programming mode
I have a hood pin, which I believe to be working but it won't enter program mode
I tried using the button on the antenna as the alternate method, and it also won't go into programming mode
Any advice what to try?
gearsandtech_yt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2021 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gearsandtech_yt
So, here I am answering my own question
Turns out, code 12 for auto start starters means valet mode is enabled
Turning the ignition to run/off 5 times with the key will put it in and out of valet mode
Took it out of valet mode and its working perfectly again
Lesson learned. Leave well enough alone!!
Thanks everyone for your help on this
I'll be starting a new post really soon to trouble shoot my wife's Mercedes idatastart issue!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic