the12volt.com spacer
icon

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix, Premium Sound System Wiring Diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gms1a 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2021 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gms1a
I have a 1997 Pontiac grand prix se with an eight-speaker premium sound system. This is an OEM unit but I cannot find a wiring diagram for the eight-speaker system. The previous owner cut the factory connection off to install an aftermarket unit. My system consists of 2 6x9 speakers in back and I'm not sure the size of the other two in back. The front two have I believe a 5 1/4-inch speaker and a small tweeter mounted high on the front door. If anyone can get me the correct wiring diagram, I would be forever grateful. Thank you, Gary M. Smouse
gms1A
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2021 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
What color wires do you have in the radio slot? They should be standard GM colors at the radio. Follow the wires back a few inches, are any of them in twisted pairs?
Here are standard GM colors. Yours will have a turn on wire for the amplifier. Either pink or dark green. If you have 2 dark green wires you will need to get a multimeter and I can help you determine which dark green is turn on and which is front right speaker.
Item     Wire Color     Polarity     Wire Location     Photo     Note
Radio 12V     orange     +     radio          
Radio Ground     black/white     -     radio          
Radio Ignition     yellow     +     radio          
Radio Illumination     gray/black (parking lights), brown/white (dimmer)     +,-     radio          
Left Front Speaker (+/-)     tan - gray     +,-     radio          
Right Front Speaker (+/-)     lt. green - dk. green     +,-     radio          
Left Rear Speaker (+/-)     brown - yellow     +,-     radio          
Right Rear Speaker (+/-)     dk. blue - lt. blue     +,-     radio
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
gms1a 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2021 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gms1a
I connected all the wires the way you told me to but I still don't have any sound other than a muted sound coming from my right rear speaker. I don't have a purple wire but I believe the wire I connected is supposed to be the purple wire. My radio turns on and the LED lights all function. I don't have a pink wire coming from under the dash so assume the vehicle never came with an amp. I do have a connection in my trunk in the center of the deck lid with a pink and an orange with a black stripe wire going to it. I found on the internet something called a stereo audio amplifier resistor control. Gm part number 10076732 and another part number with this item I found on eBay of 92615. I searched the internet but could find nothing like this except on eBay. I can buy one there for around fifteen to twenty dollars. I checked some of the voltages coming out of my radio with my multimeter and they varied from extremely high to extremely low. Is it possible that this resistor is the reason my radio doesn't function correctly? Thank you again for your help, Gary M. Smouse
gms1A
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 25, 2021 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
I had questions. I guess I still do. If it has the premium system it did have an amplifier. What purple wire were you looking for? What wires do you have left over after connecting the wires that I did not tell you to connect?
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
gms1a 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2021 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gms1a
I have 5 wires left over. 2 dk. blue and 3 dk. green. The following wire connections I researched and found on a 1998 Bonneville. This is the diagram I am using to wire my Grand Prix. According to the radio vehicle compatibility this radio should work in my 1997 Grand Prix. One of the dk. blue wires is for the right rear audio signal low-level. The other dk. blue goes to the steering wheel control buttons. One dk. green goes to the audio signal right front. One dk. green is listed as fuse out put-retained accessory power and one dk. green is listed as vehicle speed signal-4000 pulses/mile. The diagram I have has a purple/wht wire for LED dimming and I don't have a wire this color. These connections come from the plug that goes into the radio. One is black and the other is gray. I believe there is a white plug that is used and is somewhat different from the gray one I have. It also shows I should have have two gray connections on the black plug but I only have one gray. One goes to the audio signal-l front and the other gray goes to fuse output-instrument panel lights. I only have one gray wire though and I assume it goes to the audio signal-l front. I looked for a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix wiring diagram but I couldn't find one specific to my vehicle. I very much appreciate your help and patience with me.   Thank you, Gary M. Smouse997 Pontiac Grand Prix Stereo Wiring Information
Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Radio Ground Wire: Black
Radio Illumination Wire: Brown
Stereo Dimmer Wire: Gray
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue     This I found on stereowiringdiagram.info. I have all these wires in my harness plus another dk. blue and two dk. green. My assumption is they are used for add on options such as steering wheel radio control for the other dk. blue. I have no idea what the dk. green vehicle speed signal or the fuse output-retained accessory power are for.
gms1A
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 25, 2021 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Does the radio go on and off when you turn the key?
Did you figure out which grey was speaker and which was illumination?
Did you follow the wires back a few inches and find any twisted pairs?
How did you figure out which dk green was the speaker wire?
One of the dark green is probably the amplifier turn on wire.
Dark Green for vehicle speed sense is the wire that tells the radio how fast the car is traveling. The radio has Speed Controlled Volume. SCV. There is an adjustment on the radio to turn this on and also to tell it how much it will increase the volume as you speed up.
The dark green fused retained accessory wire is the wire that makes the radio go on and off. On when you turn key on. Off when you open the drivers door. If your radio is not working as above, you connect this wire to the red wire of your aftermarket radio.
gms1a 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2021 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gms1a
Thanks to your great help I finally got my radio working as it should. I connected all the obvious wires and then followed your instructions for the rest. After I did that, I still had no front or rear left sound so I pulled off the drivers front door panel and there was a corroded connection. I cleaned that up and now everything works as it should. They are OEM speakers and don't sound really well so I plan on upgrading to something better when I have the cash. Thank you again for all your help and patience.   Gary M. Smouse gms1a
gms1A

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic