the12volt.com spacer
icon

2013 Chevrolet Silverado, Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stryped 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2021 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stryped
I have a 2013 Silverado LT 4 door that I would like to add remote start to. I have thought about two different options:
1. Buying a kit on Amazon that says it will start the truck using the factory remote by hitting the lock button 3 times.
2. I already have an Astra 2 way remote start that I have had for several years but it is new in the box. It was intended for an older vehicle but never installed.
I have installed a remote start once before in my 96 Silverado. It worked great and had great range. It was an Astra as well.
However I know newer vehicles have security systems that need to be bypassed. I have seen for sale boxed that contain a spare key and other contraptions that bypass the security.
Can you recommend which starter you would choose and what bypass system would be needed for my 13 Silverado if I use the Astra? (I think the bypass is not needed for the other Amazon kit)
Any help is greatly appreciated!
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2021 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
easiest way (best way in my opion) is with a compustar rs1b-dc3 and the ads-thr-gm10 t harness. 99% plug and play besides 2 wires (lights and driver door pin) that need to be hooked up. You will have to flash RS but the site and flashing/diagram are all free. you will need the flashlogic flashing cable
https://images.idatalink.com/vehicle-install-guides/Guides/456/596/14563/EN/RSA-GM10-[CM-DC3]-(Chevrolet_Silverado_2013_14563)-EN_20210922_151130.pdf
viper you have to be a dealer to flash or get diagrams from but the viper ds4+ and the THGMN2 t harness will do the same thing. Not really a fan of.
both come with a 1 button remote that does lock/unlock/RS with compustar one being the easier more reliable one. neither would you have to give up a key for. The viper you can do a free blue tooth version of the smart start phone app to lock/unlock/RS your truck with but its really slow and you really only get 30-40 feet range. standard factory key fob is 75-80 with a good battery. Remotes they come with will do about 1200 feet range.
the astra stuff is sold mainly in Canada and I haven't used those so I cant talk about the quality of them but I know there owned by viper (audiovox now) so id recommend the viper dc3 bypass or the idatalink alca so you don't have to give up a key. Both have to be flashed using the internet and the same thing as above applies
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
stryped 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2021 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stryped
Thanks. Cost is an issue a little bit right now having two kids and one in college. I actually have an extra key. Do those systems that use a key in a box with wire wrapped around the ignition cylinder work well?One other thing I have wondered, for systems with an external antenna such as my Astra 2 way, or other 2 way system, is it possible to wire that external antenna into the onstar antenna on the vehicle? I don’t have onstar service, but have the antenna. Would in increase/ decrease the range? Like I said I installed a 2 way on a previous truck one time. It worked great however I had trouble with the plastic antenna the system came with staying on the windshield in the heat of summer
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2021 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
sorry works been busy this time of year. I don't know if you can do the universal key in the box on that truck. I think the bypass is in the key cylinder. have to research that, mind is drawing a blank with it. No, you can not use use the onstar stuff for anything other than onstar. installed 1000s of RS with the antenna on the window never had a problems with 99.9%. viper had a older line that the antenna wires would simply melt but as far as the double sided tape coming off I have never had that
yes you should be able to use the 556u (key in a box) as a bypass module in that truck
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic