the12volt.com spacer
icon

Python 4105P Remote Start, 1995 Subaru Impreza

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mjm4jc 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjm4jc
I'm assuming the brown horn wire does require a relay, correct?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
While you could add a relay, it shouldn't be necessary. The vehicles' Horn wire (Horn Trigger     red/green (-)     @ steering column) needs a low current (-) signal from the 4105. A direct connection is all that is needed using the 4105 Brown wire.
If you wanted to verify the current draw, use a Digital Multi Meter set to DC Amp - 10 Amp range. Black test lead to Chassis Ground and Red to the vehicle Horn wire shown above. The horn will sound and the DMM will show the current draw. The 4105 can handle 0.5 Amp output and the DMM should show about 150 mA.
Python 4105P Remote Start, 1995 Subaru Impreza - Page 2 -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!
mjm4jc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjm4jc
Excellent, thank you!
mjm4jc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjm4jc
Assuming that the wire color is the same on both the female and male connectors, does it matter which side I splice into? . The steering column side is so much easier to get to, and the color is the same on the other side.
mjm4jc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjm4jc
Ok there's seems to be an issue with wire coloring. I have two wiring schematics from two different sources for my 95 Impreza. One says that the horn wire is red/green at the ignition harness. The other says that the park light flash wire is red/green at ignition harness. All I can say is that if I leave the white wire from 9-pin connector connected to the red/green wire at ignition harness the way I had it, the park lights flash with door locks and remain on while the car is running with a remote start. So I'm assuming this is correct. So now I have to find the horn wire, as it appears that it is not the red/green wire. I did hook up the brown horn wire from remote start to the red/green wire at ignition harness just to see if it would work, and it did not. So now I'm in the hunt to find the horn wire. In the meantime, I will look at the previous year and the year after, to see if there may have been a mid-year wire color change. I welcome your thoughts.
mjm4jc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjm4jc
Odd that some remote start wiring diagrams say "N/A" for horn.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Those older Subarus do have some conflicting wire info. It appears that you have the Parking Lights working but the info I have is Green/Red (+) (Green with Red stripe). If you have the 4105 Parking Light jumper set to (+) then that is the wire. There might be more than one harness at the steering column to look through for the Red/Green
horn wire.
I have two sources that say Red/Green. You can use your DMM to find and verify this wire. Set the DMM to 20 V DC. Connect the Red test lead to +12V constant. Connect the Black test lead to the suspect wire. The DMM should go to +12V when the horn button is depressed.
Soldering is fun!
mjm4jc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjm4jc
Ok thanks. Just need a bit of clarification. Are you saying that the park light flash wire should be green w/red or the horn? Are you also saying that the horn wire could also be red w/green, meaning that there may be another red w/green wire besides the one i am already using?
I am using the parking light jumper.
kreg357 
Posted: January 01, 2022 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
One source has this info on the Parking Lights :
   Parking Lamp (+)   GREEN/RED(+)        @ PASSENGER SIDE OF STEERING COLUMN
I can't find any wire info source that indicates a Red/Green Parking Light wire.
And as posted above, here is the info on the Horm :
   Horn Trigger     red/green (-)     @ steering column
Notice the different wire color and polarity for each.
You should use a DMM to test and verify any wire you plan to use.
The 4105 Parking Light jumper has two positions. With it you select either a (+) or a (-) Parking Light output signal on the 4105 White wire.
Soldering is fun!
mjm4jc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2022 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjm4jc
So I found the horn wire. I just disconnected a few other plugs until the horn didn't work and then looked to see if the corresponding wire was in that plug. Turns out that the horn wire is Green w/red. I believe you had mentioned above that one of your sources confirmed this. The red w/green is the park light flash even though most sources say that this wire is for the horn. The horn does chirp when I was trying to program the unit, as the instructions said it would. But I am confused as to why it doesn't chirp on start up? I thought the main reason for the horn is to give the driver an audible signal that the car is started and running? Please advise.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic