the12volt.com spacer
icon

2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT, Astra 777, Key Box Installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stryped 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2022 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stryped
I have a 2013 4 door Silverado LT and am thinking of installing an old never used Astra 777 remote start. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/524025/Scytek-Electronic-Astra-777.html?page=15#manual
Above is a copy of the manual. If I get a box that holds a spare key so the security system can allow it to remote start, where does it wire into the Astra 777? I am a little unclear using the manual above. Any help is appreciated!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2022 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
I have never used an Astra 777 unit. A quick review of the manual listed above indicates that the A777 is just a RKE and alarm system. It does have the capability to do the R/S function if the add-on StarLink Relay pack is added to the A777 unit. Do you have this module. Here is a link :   https://scytek.net/main/files/manual/astra/startlink.pdf
The vehicle that you want to upgrade has a combo engine immobilizer system that consists of Passlock2 and PassKey3. Just using a spare key in a Universal key-in-the-box bypass module alone won't allow a R/S. The Passlock2 must be bypassed, too.    Your best option is using an ADS AL-CA flashed with the ADS-AL(DL)-GM10 firmware (along with the StarLink Relay Pack). The ADS AL-CA will handle both immobilizers without losing a key and provide additional features. Before going that route, I would verify that your Astra 777 can support the StarLink Relay Pack via a Data Port.
Realistically, there are a lot of newer R/S systems out there that are better suited for your project.
Soldering is fun!
stryped 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2022 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stryped
What is something that is inexpensive with just remote start and door lock functions that has a good distance? I park a long way away from the building I work at. Preferably a two way so I know it has started?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2022 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Nothing is cheap right now, chip shortage and all that. Personally, I like the Compustar CS4900-S. You will need a Blade-AL cartridge flashed with the GM10 firmware. That will give you 3,000 foot range with one 2-Way remote and one 1-Way remote. Fairly simple install with about 10 wire connections to the truck. Figure about $220 for both.
Soldering is fun!
stryped 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2022 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stryped
How does this compare: Start-X Remote Starter for Silverado 2007-2013 & Sierra 2007-2013 || Plug N Pay || 3 X Lock to Remote Start || NO UPDATER Required https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844MCF47/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_T8VF3R929M7EAWBE0D60
djdeito 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2022 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote djdeito
The Start-X remote starter works by pressing the lock button 3 times on your truck's OEM key fob which means you will be limited to the range/distance of the OEM key fob and without two-way confirmation.
kreg357 
Posted: January 21, 2022 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Simple install but does not meet your original requirements. It uses the factory remotes and three Lock commands in a row to initiate a R/S. So, no two way confirmation and the range is limited to the range of the Factory Remotes. Apparently, in an effort to keep it Plug-n-Play, it does not turn on the Parking Lights during R/S run time. I'm wondering if it even monitors the hood (on trucks without a Factory Alarm) to prevent a R/S during engine maintenance.
Soldering is fun!
stryped 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2022 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stryped
How does this compare: Start-X Remote Starter for Silverado 2007-2013 & Sierra 2007-2013 || Plug N Pay || 3 X Lock to Remote Start || NO UPDATER Required https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844MCF47/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_T8VF3R929M7EAWBE0D60
stryped 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2022 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stryped
So trying to decide between the compustar mentioned earlier and the plug and play starter x. I would install myself. I have read compustar offers no help unless you are a dealer.
Any advice on which of the two systems with a self install?
kreg357 
Posted: January 28, 2022 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Well, the Compustar CS4900-s is a bit easier to install than the Astra 777 with a key-in-the-box and some type of Passlock2 bypass.
The Start-X system is very simple and easy with its' total Plug-n-Play install.
Feature wise the Compustar wins, with its' long distance remotes, remote command confirmation, use of Parking Lights and other safety features.
Agreed that Compustar won't provide Tech Support for DIYers, not sure about Start-X but they do have some install videos. You would have to find an online seller that would flash the Blade-AL cartridge with the correct firmware (GM-10) if you went with the Compustar system. The Start-X system comes flashed and ready to go right out of the box.
What condition are the 8 year old factory remotes in and what range do they give you?
Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic