the12volt.com spacer
icon

2002 Dodge Caravan SE, Compustar 920S Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
potatotsunami 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2022 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote potatotsunami
Hi All - long time lurker first time poster.
I don’t often do RS installs but have done a few in the past. Last one was maybe 10 years ago or so. The guy I would out source to moved to a warmer climate. Lucky!
My old man picked up a Compustar 920S and I’m having trouble with the install. The vehicle doesn’t have a chipped key so I don’t think I need a bypass but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to start. I believe it has to do with the ignition key in/out. If so, how would I get around that?
The reason I believe it’s the key in/out is that I can get her to crank over but it won’t catch. If I remove the ignition harness and run probes from the corresponding pins for the key I/O and put the key in the run position, it’ll function properly.
I have used the search function here but didn’t find any definitive information.
Here is the pin out for the RS brain:
2002 Dodge Caravan SE, Compustar 920S Remote Start -- posted image.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2022 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Does it have a Gray ignition key?
Soldering is fun!
potatotsunami 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2022 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote potatotsunami
Negative. Even had a few cheap keys made since he got the van with only one key
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2022 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Good, no transponder. Did you do this with a 180 ohm resistor to the Purple/Brown Ignition MUX wire?
http://diagrams.--/DOWNLOADS/17044_CARAVAN_CHRYSLER%20MINI%20VAN%20STARTER%202%20DIAGRAM.pdf
The White Relay wire in the diagram would go to the CM900 CN3-4 Black Status Output wire and the Black relay wire would go to the CM900 thick Yellow Starter wire with diode.
Soldering is fun!
potatotsunami 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2022 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote potatotsunami
I didn't, I read in another post about it but wasn't too sure what needed to be done. I'm assuming the relay and resistor would be things I pick up at the store?
The diagram you listed above doesn't lead to anywhere.
Currently, this is how I have the brain hooked up:
Is there anything there I should change about whats already hooked up? Also, I'm supplying the second 12V constant power through a PowerProbe just to test. Not sure where I should pick up power for that one.
kreg357 
Posted: February 07, 2022 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Sorry about the relay diagram link. Here is another :
You can get the relay from Amazon or EBay and possibly some auto parts stores. It's a Bosch style SPDT 30/40 Amp 12V relay. Get one with the 5 wire harness. The 180 Ohm resistor is available online, too. I would try to get a 1/4 watt resistor but 1/8 watt will work OK.
For +12V constant, there is a Black 6 Pin plug behind the parking brake that has a Violet/Red and a White/Red wire that can supply +12V at 40 Amps each. You can connect the two CM900 fused +12V inputs to these wires.
For the Parking Lights you can get a couple of 6 Amp diodes to split and connect the CM900 (+) Green/White Parking Light output to these two wires :
Parking Lights       White/Brown (L) & White/Orange (R) (+)   @ Driver Kick, harness to rear
Soldering is fun!
potatotsunami 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2022 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote potatotsunami
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll have to get some parts on order!
How about wiring in the door locks? I don't believe that the van had keyless entry, at least he didn't get any key fobs/remotes when he bought the van.
kreg357 
Posted: February 07, 2022 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
If it has power locks with control switches in the doors, you can include that feature with the install. The CS920-s has four button remotes.
The Caravan has a "one-wire" door lock system and you would need more relays and resistors. The easy way would be to purchase a Directed 451M Door Lock module. They go for around $10 and come with the resistors you need. Here is a link to the 451M guide
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=725
According to Bulldog Security you need 820 ohms for Lock and 330 ohms for Unlock.
According to Directed you need 5,300 ohms for Lock and 2,000 ohms for Unlock.
You will have to test to determine which values work for you vehicle.
Soldering is fun!
potatotsunami 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2022 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote potatotsunami
Thanks to you and your help, everything’s working. I appreciate all the info you provided.
Definitely a new experience and chance to learn.
kreg357 
Posted: February 13, 2022 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
2002 Dodge Caravan SE, Compustar 920S Remote Start -- posted image.   Glad you got it all sorted. With the MUX wires and extra relays needed that vehicle is a bit more difficult than average.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic