the12volt.com spacer
icon

Carputer Monitor Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blaube 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2022 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blaube
I'm building an overland Jeep with my 93 XJ. In it will be a carputer or "Jeepputer" for the music, dashcam, cop cam, surveillance and anything else I want to use a computer for.
For the monitor I chose to get one from a Lenovo Flex 10 laptop (LENOVO IDEAPAD FLEX 10 10.1" LCD LED SCREEN PANEL IVO P/N M101NWN8 R0 (HAR80) A). I found a control board (M101NWN8 R0/R3 N101BGE-L11/L21/L31/L41 LCD LVDS 40-Pin HDMI-Compatible+VGA+2AV 1366768 10.1" WLED Monitor Control Card (M101NWN8 R3)) to set it up and control it.
For power, the control board says "DC 12V 2A (DC Port: 1.35MM and 3.5MM inner+ outside-), and also supports micro USB 5V 2A Power supply." My question: Can I or should I run power directly off the battery to it? Or, should I use a voltage/current stabilizer/limiter to keep a solid 12V 2A going to it? If so, where can I get a good quality one or how can I build one?
I ask this question because I saw a video where the guy took the power supply off his PC monitor and ran 12V directly to the 12V circuits bypassing the 110V converter circuitry. It worked. But in the comments, a viewer said he did that and it worked for several weeks until something fried due to too much amperage (current.)
Also, I found an in vehicle computer power supply that has 12V output to an accessory I might use. Regardless how I decide to wire the power, I want clean and stable current going to it without the risk of it burning out or catching fire. Any and every suggestion is welcomed.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic