the12volt.com spacer
icon

Tach Does Not Work After K-Swap Unless Avanguard 5.1 Tach Wire Is Disconnected

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chatoyer 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2022 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Hello everyone,
This is my first post, so please excuse me or point me to where i should post, if I did not post in the correct forum.
I have a 1999 integra with a clifford g5 avantguard 5.1 with intellistart 4. It was properly installed by a dealer and worked fine up until I performed a K-swap. I swapped the engine and ecu is a 2006 rsx with rsx wiring.
Since everything remained same, rhe only wire I had to connect was the rpm/tach wire from the intellistart (which was connected to the 1999 integra distributor/test wire. I connected this to the ecu E connector at pin 25 (blue wire). Im sure this is the correct wire from the Honda repair manual and other posts in this forum.
Here is what happens:
1. With the wire connected, the tach needle jumps all over the place, will not go over 3000 rpm, or sits at zero. At idle it will sometimes work. While the intellistart wire is connected to E25 pin, I can program the alarm and remote start and everything functions. While the wire is connected, the ecu sees the rpms, so the car functions without an issue.
2. When I disconnect the intellistart tach monitor wire, the tachometer needle works without a problem. Of course, this means that the features which relies on the rpm does not work.
Has anyone encountered this? What is the cause? Is there a solution? My suspicion is that the intellistart rpm wire is pulling or draining too much of the voltage that the ecu outputs to the tach so there is insufficient volts to operate the tach properly. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2022 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Use a different tach source. Fuel injector or Ignition coil control wire.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2022 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Thanks for the response and suggestion.
So for the ignition coil, should I use any of the wires at the A13-16 ECU connector (ignition coil 1 through 4)? If not, which coil in particular?
Alternatively, for the injector, the ECU B connector pin 2-5 (injectors 1-4), which do you suggest using as the source?
Thanks.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2022 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
It doesn't matter, pick one. My personal preference is fuel injector of cylinder 1 but that's just my preference.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2022 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Thank you. Much appreciated. I will attempt to get it done and let you know how it works.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2022 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Just an update:
I tried it first on the #1 coil (ecu connect A pin 16), but that seemed not to work: I could not engage short stop, auto lock (based on rpm), or remote start.
I then tried it on injector #1 (ECU connector B pin 5): Short stop and remote start works,but I'm not yet sure auto lock works... I will have to test it a bit more.
Many thanks for the suggestions and solution.
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2022 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Cutback,
After a bit more testing, I confirmed that the autolock and blackjack features did not work. This is very strange, because the short-stop feature (which I assume requires an rpm signal) worked. When I connect the wire back to the e25 pin, all of the avantguard and intellistart features work; of course, my tachometer does not.
I'm wondering if the clifford avantguard requires some kind of tach signal filter to work on a 2006 rsx (ecu or coil). Any ideas?
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2022 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Did you relearn the tach and was it sucessful?
chatoyer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2022 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chatoyer
Good question:
On both my connections to the injector and coil, I tried to relearn the tach. The same thing happened. I entered the section of the program grid successfully,but when I press the "arm/disarm" button, nothing happens, that is, the lights do not blink. I tried this with two other intellistart units (I have three including a brand new one) with the same result. However, on all three units, when I connect the tach signal wire to the E25 pin wire, all the features work without programming the tach.
So to answer you question, I tried to relearn the tach on the I jester and coil wire connections, but I don't think it is successful. I'm curious, however, why the features work on each of the intellistart units when it is connected to the e25 pin wire even without relearning tach. This is why I posed my prior question. Of course, I'm stumped, so I'm hoping that you have a suggestion yo aid me in this regard.
Thanks in advance.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2022 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Interesting, the AvantGuard 5.1 is supposed to flash the parking lights twice for a successful tach learn or once for an unsuccessful learn.
From my research, Pin 26 of Connector E is the Tach Output *Referenced Here and here*
Outside of the above, all I can suggest is to test and validate the wires. The Clifford install manual has it's procedure for testing the tach wire. The tach output wire (given above) or the any one of the fuel injector wires (not yellow/black) are the tach connections listed for installer data.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic