the12volt.com spacer
icon

Auto Headlight Sensor Voltage, 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
voyager1 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2022 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote voyager1
Hello,
I'd like to have auto headlights feature in my 2005 MY, Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8L CRD.
I have no idea why this feature is not working although I replaced the headlight switch and auto dimming mirror with the sensor attached. In accordance with the shop manual, my van has all the wiring from the mirror plug to the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) plug as well as the required autoheadlight switch wiring. When I switch knob to "A (Auto)" mode, it turns on fog lights only regardless of day or night.
Since the wiring based on the MUX and MUX return, I cannot play that much. Now, I am planning to wire a relay connection to do this. In my opinion, a relay would work perfectly on this project if I know the voltage coming from the headlight sensor. I will use this voltage by attaching this cable to the relevant relay pin (i.e. 30) with another pin connection (i.e. 86) of the power goes to the headlights. In other words, when I turn the knob to "A", it will turn the headlights on when the relay sees the voltage coming from the headlight sensor voltage depending on the darkness. On the other hand, if I succeed this, I guess I will do another relay wiring to turn the fog lights off when the headlights on via this relay wiring.
That's my opinion. Any help or idea would be greatly appreciated.
voyager
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2022 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
The sensor voltage varies with the amount of light it's detecting. Even if you designed a simple system to trigger at a given voltage, you're going to have an issue with debounce where the switch constantly (and sometimes rapidly) is turning on and off as the voltage fluctuates right around the trigger point.
The reason why the OEM system isn't working even with the parts installed is the BCM lacks the programming for the feature. It's the BCM, and it's programming, that takes in all the switches and sensors and makes the magic happen.
Can't help you further than that. Just my opinion, this is a project that involves a lot of work for little return.
voyager1 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2022 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote voyager1
Thank you for the reply.
I haven't thought the voltage fluctuates. It means, I'd better go over the BCM and its magic...
Maybe BCM needs programming via DRB device at Chrysler Service.
voyager

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic