the12volt.com spacer
icon

2012 Dodge Journey SXT, Aftermarket Back-Up Camera, Reverse Wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ravjr66 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ravjr66
Looking for some assistance with the best location to tap a 12V reverse signal for my back-up camera. I would like to make the connection near the driver's side kick panel, if possible. I do not have a wiring schematic to work from, so I am hoping someone can assist. Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your input.
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
looks like it just in the passenger kick panel-
Reverse Light     white/tan     +     BCM above passenger kick, white 48 pin plug (F), pin 41
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
ravjr66 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ravjr66
Thank you very much! I will find the wire and report back. I am sure there are others who could benefit from this as well. Much appreciated.
ravjr66 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ravjr66
Well, unfortunately, the white with tan trace wire was a modulated 12V. The circuit is powered up when the gear shift is put into Reverse, however the signal is not a steady 12V. I will see if I can upload a 4 second video of the results, after connecting the camera input to the white/tan wire. See the video in the "Mobile Video and Navigation" uploads section.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?catID=50
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
you will probably just need a relay. I couldn't remember what year it was you needed to start adding one
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Does your camera not have a red wire near the camera and one with the RCA cable that plugs into your monitor? If so, catch it at the reverse bulb and let the camera harness feed the monitor.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
ravjr66 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ravjr66
It might be as simple as what you had suggested. I was trying to keep the majority of my wiring up near the center console, and it still may be an option, if the reverse lights are 12V. I read somewhere that some Dodge Journeys had incandescent bulbs and others have LED bulbs. Not sure if the voltage to the lights would be different, but I will pop the rear hatch trim and check. (weekend project - one of many)
2012 Dodge Journey SXT, Aftermarket Back-Up Camera, Reverse Wire -- posted image.
audiokid1 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote audiokid1
This will help with the PWM reverse circuit.
CA-FLTR
ravjr66 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ravjr66
Well, I gave up on the auto-trigger backup camera and just wired the camera to a switched power circuit in the interior fuse panel, along with a 2-position On/Off switch. Before doing so, and in an effort to make a last ditch effort to resolve the reverse trigger issue, I ran a jumper wire from the rear hatch harness circuit (reverse lights) directly to the monitor reverse trigger wire. I had the same winking monitor, when the vehicle was put in reverse. I tried 6 ways to Sunday to get the camera triggered off the reverse light input, but finally had to admit defeat and Rube Goldberg the thing. The camera does function normally, and will shut off when the vehicle is shut off. I am content with the results, and more importantly my wife is too.
Now for more Journey fun . . . a plugged heater core . . .2012 Dodge Journey SXT, Aftermarket Back-Up Camera, Reverse Wire -- posted image.
ravjr66 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ravjr66
Thanks AudioKid1. I will keep this in mind for my next backup camera project. I figured there was something out there for this issue, but I didn't have the patience to continue looking. Now I know.
On a side note, Do you have any experience with Dodge's UConnect not working? 2012 Dodge Journey SXT, Aftermarket Back-Up Camera, Reverse Wire -- posted image. Just one of many other project I need to tackle. . .

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic