the12volt.com spacer
icon

Avital 3100LX Starter Interrupt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
evetts 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evetts
How does the starter interrupt work? I wired it inline between my ignition switch and starter solenoid, but when the alarm is armed it will still crank when you turn the key. Should I connect this to a different wire? Or am I not understanding correctly how the starter kill works? Thanks!
If it matters, it’s a 1966 F100 completely rewired from scratch using an EZ Wiring harness kit.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote iskidoo
It's just an internal relay that either connects the wires together when disarmed or breaks the connection when armed. Try unplugging the 2 terminals from the brain module and see if it still starts. If it does then you may have interrupted the wrong wire. If it doesn't then check for continuity across the 2 terminals on the brain for starter interrupt. If working properly you should get continuity across the terminals when disarmed, an no continuity when armed. If the output is damaged then you may still be able to just use an external relay to perform the same task using the orange ground when armed output as a trigger.
Steve G
evetts 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2022 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evetts
So I got a replacement alarm and the same thing happens- when the alarm is armed, I still have continuity across the starter interrupt terminals. Should that circuit be closed when disarmed, and open when armed? Am I not understanding how the starter kill is supposed to work? Or is there a switch or jumper somewhere to enable the starter kill feature? This is two alarms now that act the same way, it must be me doing something wrong. Any thoughts?
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2022 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Do you have the ignition wire connected to the Avital and supplying 12v during key on?
When the system is armed and the ignition is energized, the starter wires will be interrupted.
evetts 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2022 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evetts
I’ve got the red wire connected to a constant 12v source, and the yellow wire connected to a circuit that only gets 12v when the key is in the ON position, if I recall it’s tapped into the heater blower motor wire.
Does this sound right or do I have it backwards?
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2022 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
It has to be connected to the ignition wire, the heater/blower motor feed drops out during cranking. The proper ignition wire will show 12v in the RUN and START position.
evetts 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2022 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote evetts
So I connected the yellow wire directly to the IGN terminal of the starter switch, and now I notice whenever I turn the key to the OFF position, the power door lock actuators unlock. Is this normal/expected?
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2022 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Yes that’s expected if you have ignition controlled door locks enabled.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic