the12volt.com spacer
icon

Testing Remote Keyless Entry Kit Before Installing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atikovi 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2022 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atikovi
Bought a NOS Ford accessory RKE kit for my 2003 E150 wagon a year ago, and just getting around to install it. Before I do, I'd like to bench test it before going to the trouble of putting it in. Here is the wiring diagram,
Testing Remote Keyless Entry Kit Before Installing -- posted image.
From what I see, I just need to connect A-5 to battery negative and A-4 to battery positive. Then using a test light connected to ground, hold the other end to either A-2 or A-14 or A-1 or A-21 and press the remote's buttons and the test light will flash. When I do, nothing happens. The remote has a new battery and the signal is good. It comes pre-programmed as well. Am I missing something?
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2022 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
Use a LED test light for testing A-2 and A-14. A-21 is a negative output. A-1 may need A-20 to see 12v in order to work.
atikovi 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2022 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atikovi
OK thanks, I was using an incandescent light and missed the A-21 as a negative output.
atikovi 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2022 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atikovi
Turns out the remotes weren't programmed. After programming it tests fine. Got everything connected except for the the blue and green Door Lock and Unlock wires. What are those two relays on the diagram for? They didn't come in the kit. Why can't I just connect the wires directly to the Door Lock and Unlock wires in the truck harness?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2022 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Your E150 might have Type A door locks or Type C door locks. You must test to determine which system you have. The quick test is if the E150 came from the Factory with Remote Keyless Entry and the RKE Keyfobs. If it did, then you have Type A door locks. If it didn't come with RKE, then you have Type C door locks. Your aftermarket system outputs a (+) lock signal. Type A systems need a (+) signal so a direct to vehicle connection is OK. If you have Type C locks you would need relays to interrupt the vehicle wire and safely inject the needed (+) signal to the lock motor as shown in the diagram. Bottom line, without relays to properly interface your E150, you will blow fuses and possibly damage the RKE system or vehicle.
Download the DEI TechTip 1034 to learn more about door lock systems. This site also has some nice door lock relay wiring diagrams to help you.
Below is a note from Bulldog Security about the E150 lock system and wires : NOTE #1: If vehicle has a FACTORY KEYLESS ENTRY, PINK/YELLOW is LOCK, and PINK/LIGHT GREEN is UNLOCK, it is a TYPE A Door Locking System, if vehicle is without a FACTORY KEYLESS it is a TYPE C System and you MUST TEST from the PASSENGERS LOCK/UNLOCK SWITCH this switch is the MASTER SWITCH.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic