the12volt.com spacer
icon

Install Older Car Stereo In Ice Shack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sbanz 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2022 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sbanz
I have an older car stereo that I would like to install in my ice fishing shack using a 12v automotive battery as a power source. It is a Delco part no. 10352018 manufacture date 10/22/07.
It has a 24 & 12 pin out connector in the back. I found the pinout information online that shows function of each pin. I'm wondering what pins I actually need to connect to in order to simply use it as a stand alone radio in my ice shack and if it will work at all for this. There are pins for left and right, front and rear speakers, ground, battery positive voltage and so on that seem fairly self explanatory but then there are others that I'm not sure if I need, such as, class 2 serial data, radio on signal, remote control radio signal, amplifier control & etc. Also, it has theft lock and from what else I'm seeing online it may have to be unlocked, possibly by a dealership?
Anyway, I am just trying to find out if it is worth trying to make this work or not. I also intend to power some smaller 12v lights from the same battery on occasion.
Any information or feedback would be appreciated.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2022 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
Personally I would get a decent brand aftermarket radio to make things a lot easier. With a new radio too, you should also get a warranty.You never know too that maybe a buddy of yours has an aftermarket and he is upgrading to something newer and his works and you could get it for a song.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
sbanz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2022 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sbanz
Thanks Jim,
I was just looking at what is out there as far as newer used aftermarket radios and even new ones and I'm surprised how little it would cost and all the additional features they have.
So I am thinking the same that it doesn't pay to monkey with this older radio.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2022 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
That Delco radio will not work in a stand alone situation. It depends on a digital signal from the vehicles Body Control Module. The radio will not work if it is not connected to the BCM that it was married to.
If you look at the diagram you have, you will notice that there is not a switched 12 volt wire to turn it on.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2022 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
If for some reason you or anyone else decides to use a factory radio do a check on the metraonline.com site to where you can kick in the year make and model of the vehicle you are dealing with and the parts they offer sometimes there is a plug that will go into a factory radio. For instance they make a 71-1858 harness plug and this goes into particular GM radio's while the 70-1858 plugged into particular GM car/truck wiring harness. Most of the harness plugs from them are on a color code standard to where it makes it easier to know what wire goes to what.
Years ago when doing work with Rockford and Delco we setup a system to where we used the 71 series harness and the 70 series harness to where when we pulled the factory radio out, these plugs would plug into the original radio and the original harness end and then there were extension wires off of the plugs that would allow us to put an amplifier under a seat or in a trunk and made it more of a plug and play setup for dealerships to easily install the upgrade (no wire splicing, wiring identification, and so on). If one then wanted to upgrade the system further past just an amplification step, by unplugging the harness at the amp and another Y cord setup installed we could run passive crossovers on the original speaker locations and then have a bridged output for a subwoofer addition.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
sbanz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2022 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sbanz
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm definitely going aftermarket. I started looking now and can't believe how inexpensive receivers are and all of the different functions and capabilities they have. I don't need anything real fancy or powerful. I plan on using my boat batteries for this purpose, both the deep cycle that I have for trolling motor and the starter battery, and just switch them out when one needs charging. I will also power a couple of 12v interior lights off of the battery when I need them. I'm thinking this setup should work fine but if anyone has any additional thoughts on this feel free to let me know.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic