the12volt.com spacer
icon

Proper Fuse Protection & Relays. New Trike Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deadboltdon 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2022 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote deadboltdon
Hello, I am preparing to do a rewire on a VW Trike I have been working on. The existing wiring the previous owner/builder did gets hot when the headlight is on and there are hot leads going into one side of a switch (horn for example) and ground on the other side. There is no horn installed and that is another reason I will just rewire it anyway.
I will be installing a fuse & relay box. My main question is can the relay pin 30 get power, from say a 10A fuse. To output on pin 87/87a While also powering the 12v+ to the switch and then out to pin 85? I know the switch in/out will never pop a fuse by overpowering but rather for short out protection. (If something happened at the handle bar switch for instance). Would it pop the 10A fuse if it shorted to ground? In the process killing power to the relay as well?
I will be using the ignition switch to give power to both a ACC and Constant power distribution bar. Each fuse would get power from the ACC or constant bar respectively.    
I hope that make sense.. I have been overthinking it and want to get it right this time around.
deadboltdon 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2022 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote deadboltdon
I still need to get the body off so I can make sense of what is there, but I think the headlight is run through the handlebar controls. The wire on these is a little thin, maybe 16/18ga. So that could explain the hot wires. Or could be worse..

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic