the12volt.com spacer
icon

1999 Ford F-350, Compustar, Starter Kill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rescuejg 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2022 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rescuejg
I have a 99 F350 (diesel). A number of years ago I had Best Buy install a Compustar alarm/remote start. It is model 4905S-KIT and FT-ALARMIT-KIT (V2). I was recently reading about thefts of the 99-03 Superduties being on the rise. I decided to check the starter kill feature. I armed the alarm while inside the truck, then went to start the truck with my key. As soon as I turned the key, the alarm sounded, but the truck started. This leads me to believe the starter kill was not hooked up or not hooked up correctly. I believe the starter kill was marketed as part of the alarm system, but I can't recall for certain.
At this point I would like to add this feature. I am pretty good with electrical and other car stuff, so I think I can add this myself with a little direction from this forum. Does anyone know which wires on the truck I would need to use and where on my module it would need to plug into, etc.
Truck does not have PATS or anything special like that. Standard key.
Thanks in avance
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2022 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
The starter wire is red/lt blue at the ignition switch. I do not know what the connections to Compustar are. (I'm a DEI guy.) If you can identify a Ground When Armed wire from the Compustar, it is easy to wire in a relay. Try to hide the wiring and relay so thieves can't find it easialy. Not that it matters. If it doesn't crank, pop the hood and jump the solenoid on the passenger fender. Starter Interrupts aren't very effective on Fords because of the accessibility to the solenoid under the hood.
I also have a 1999 Powerstroke. Because of the ease of jumping the starter under the hood, I have a Ghost Switch system that interrupts the PCM power and well as the starter. It's fairly sophisticated, and activates passively every time the truck is shut off and a door is opened. If they jump the solenoid, it still won't start, but now they are making noise. Theives hate making noise.
Here's a basic Starter Interrupt utilizing a Grounded When Armed wire from the alarm:
#87a to car side of starter wire.
#30 and #86 to key side of starter wire.
#85 to GWA wire of alarm.
rescuejg 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2022 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rescuejg
DAVEP, Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize a starter bypass is so easy to bypass, but it makes sense. I would love to hear some more about your system or if you can suggest an easy way to a more foolproof set up so the truck can't be driven away. The truck is old, but it seems they are now a very hot commodity for theft. I have a lot of money tied up in this truck, I'd like to keep it away from thieves.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic