the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Recommended Bypass Module For 2010 Jeep Wrangler With Manual Locks?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
umbra2 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2022 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote umbra2
My girlfriend has a 2010 4 Door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU). It has a gray key (immobolizer). It came without power windows or locks. Over the summer I added in power locks with an Avital system. Now that it's November it's getting real cold and she'd like the Avital 5105L that's been sitting on the shelf for many months installed so she could have remote start. When I purchased it I bought one of those key boxes you put a gray key in to deal with the immobolizer. I was aware there were more elegant ways of dealing with it, but I figured I'd start there and maybe upgrade it later on.
Now that I'm actually getting into things it's a bit more complicated than I figured. If I'm getting this right there's no high level wires to tap into at the ignition and it's handled with the mux wire instead and the computer. I see there's a way to wire up two relays with diodes and resistors to get it started. I rigged that up, but I think I'd rather skip trying that and just move forward to installing something more elegant once.
I'd like to put a plug and play system in there. That would've been great, but without the oem lock and key fob that means won't work, so I needed to do something else. It seems like I'd need at minimum a bypass module. It looked like ten years ago the DBalls were the way to go, but it seems DIYers are upset with them and prefer Fortin and iDatalink. Is there a preferred product for this? Even if it's all in one. I'd like remote start and locks. Alarm would be a plus. I already have the Avital 5105L, so if that could be incorporated that would be a plus.
Thank you for any insight you might be able to provide or pointing me in the right direction, I greatly appreciate it.
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2022 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
you can still use the after market lock on a new viper or compustar system. First question is automatic or manual? manual you out of luck. Bypass module wont work on them as the codes are different and cant even flash them since they are considered a convertible. Automatic is best as you can use a viper ds4+ with a thchn2 t harness and a 451m to retain your after market door locks, easiest solution as its mostly plug n play. Can do a compustar rs1b2-dc3 with a ads-thr-ch5 t harness and the 451m with some minor modification for locks, not hard just a few more step involved with 451m and locks. The door locks were probably the hardest part of the install, I hated doing lock on wranglers and usually upped the price alot to get out of doing them..lol. There wont be any kinda plug n play with you older system, only the new systems I mention have t harness, i think the dball 3 had some sorta t harness but i never sold/used one. Some one else would have to chime in on fortin I think I did one fortin. Its mostly sold in Canada but I think you need a flasher for it and the flash site is free.
sorry completely spaced on some main points...
viper will have to be flashed with a module (xkloader2) or the app to do bluetooth and you will have to be a seller and access to there flash site
compustar you'll need a flasher (flashlogic updater) but the flash site is free for all
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
umbra2 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2022 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote umbra2
Thank you for the thorough reply! Plenty of items and terms I'm unfamiliar with, but I can at least relate to you regarding installing the aftermarket actuators. I did not enjoy working on/in those wrangler doors. Fortunately there's a company that puts together a kit with prefabbed brackets, but you still have to take the door apart and wiggle everything where it needs to go. This is an automatic transmission, thanks for reminding me I overlooked that informational tidbit. In looking at Fortin's website they have a product that would act as a bypass and interface with an aftermarket remote start and they even have a T-harness available. I'm going to get one of those and their flasher. Their wiring diagrams look pretty thorough too. I only stumbled across a Wrangler forum today where they discovered these years back, were buying them sometimes pre-flashed by the seller, and having them set up in like a half hour. My situation isn't identical, but that sounds promising.
Edit: For anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future I was able to do this successfully with a Fortin Evo All, their Flash-Link Module for programming, and their THAR-CHR5 t-harness. I purchased these through resellers. If your remote start/alarm supports idatalink or D2D don't do what I did and learn what that did only after wiring it up fully by wire. Read the install guide properly where is says all those many colorful wires can be omitted with one of these MUX-based connections. I did have to have the hand brake ground signal wire wired up despite what it said. That info did not get sent from the evo to the remote start/alarm.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic