icon

Neon/trunk light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 94 Altima that I am building a system in. I am putting in 3 to 4 tubes of neon in the trunk.Can I tap into the power for the light in the trunk?????(it would be nice to utilize that switch)If I can, can I hook all tubes onto that one lead???Last question, Would I ground them to a ground lead for the trunk light or find a seperate ground for them????
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
I would use a relay on the light power lead with a separate power run to the neon. Run a ground with the new power wire to a good grounding spot somewhere in the trunk.
caveman 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
 Technically I would use a relay also. But with neon tubes, they draw very small amounts  of current and in my opinion I would say its ok to use the 2 wires that go to the trunk light. One is the constant 12volts and the other is the ground "trigger". Just make sure you install a fuse at your connection.
"Installing it yourself keeps my repair man busy"
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys,
I think I will go with installing on the +12 and ground trigger just to keep things simple. I like to install/build systems but the word relay scares me LOL, I guess its because I dont know anything about them.
Thanks
2G Sport 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Tcole you sound like me about 6 months ago...lol. I too wanted to wire multiple neons in the trunk and use the factory plug(so they would turn on only when trunk was open). This site helped a lot, and now I am more comfortable with relays and such. I wanted a main power switch so I could turn all of the lights off when my trunk would be open for long periods of time. I used spade connectors to plug into the factory plug so I didn't have to splice. Here is what I did, using a Bosch 30A relay(If you are not familiar with relay numbering, see the relay section) and 16 gauge speaker wire(split):
Wire from factory plug + to non-lighted switch, from switch to #86
Wire from factory plug - to #85
I ran a wire from my fused distribution block used for my amps to 87
From 30 I ran a fused wire(to be safe) and connected all the + wires(fused of course) from each accessory and used a wire nut(I'm sure there is a better way, but)
I grounded each accessory in the area closest to the accessory.
You can use a switch inline with each accessory + if you want to turn each accessory on/off. I use non-lighted switches to make things easier(no ground for illumination), and because they are hidden any way. Anything I missed guys? Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic