the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Adding A Trunk Release Button, 2009 Ford Focus. This Look Okay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
billymons 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2023 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote billymons
I have a 2009 Ford Focus and it currently has a remote fob trunk release. I found a kick panel momentary switch from a 2010 Focus that I would like to add in addition to my remote release. I see guys using a diode so current can’t go back to the computer but that makes me Nervous if that diode would fail. I thought about putting an eight pin 12v relay and wire it like this. See pic. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?Adding A Trunk Release Button, 2009 Ford Focus. This Look Okay? - Last Post -- posted image.
Billy Monahan
billymons 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2023 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote billymons
Or would this be ok? I guess you couldn’t press both buttons at the same time??? Adding A Trunk Release Button, 2009 Ford Focus. This Look Okay? - Last Post -- posted image.
Billy Monahan
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2023 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Adding A Trunk Release Button, 2009 Ford Focus. This Look Okay? - Last Post -- posted image.
Since the factory relay is built into the SJB, the best thing to do is just power the blue solenoid wire with your own relay.
You could do something like this:
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html
Ground to your momentary switch, output to the relay coil (85 or 86). Fused 12 volts positive to the remaining coil terminal (85 or 86) and either 30. Connect 87 to your blue wire for the solenoid.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
billymons 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2023 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote billymons
Thanks, geepherder that's good but I would still have my key remote trunk button also, besides the extra dash button I want to put in. I would still need a diode on the blue wire so it doesn't send voltage back to the SJB correct??
Billy Monahan
geepherder 
Posted: March 01, 2023 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
No need for a diode. The blue wire is a relay output only. Alternatively, you could actually relay isolate it. Similar to a starter kill relay. Cut the blue wire and connect the side that goes to the trunk to 30 (common) and the SJB side to 87a. Connect power to 87 so when your relay is triggered it powers the solenoid.
When the relay is at rest, the factory system works normally.
billymons 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2023 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote billymons
Thanks for the help! By the way, is that wiring diagram on top a Ford wiring diagram? Just curious.
Billy Monahan
geepherder 
Posted: March 02, 2023 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
The diagrams you posted, I don't know. The diagram I posted is for a 2009 Ford Focus and from the Carmin app.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic