the12volt.com spacer
icon

Brake Warning Light Does Not Fully Turn Off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dino69 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2023 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
69 Charger with an Avital 5303 alarm and remote start. The brake warning light comes on bright when the parking brake is set, but when I turn the parking brake off, the warning light stays dimly lit instead of turning off. I have the brown wire H3/3 hooked to the brake switch. The remote start works fine. Am I getting some power fed back to the light? Do I need a diode somewhere?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2023 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
According to what I see the H3/3 connection should be made at the positive output of the foot brake, not the parking brake.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2023 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
Yes! That's where I have it. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2023 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If you disconnect the brown wire from the brake switch, does the light go off?
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2023 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
No, the light stays on with the brown wire disconnected. Depressing the brake pedal also has no affect on it. As soon as I turn on the ignition, the bulb lights up a bit. Weird.
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2023 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
Brake Warning Light Does Not Fully Turn Off -- posted image.
Brake Warning Light Does Not Fully Turn Off -- posted image.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2023 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
With the brown wire disconnected and you are still having light issues, then it is a vehicle issue.
I'm not familiar with the wiring on a Charger but if it's anything like the Chevrolet's from that era, the brake light system indicator light should only come on when the ignition switch is in the run position and then if either the emergency brake pedal inside is depressed or the switch under the hood on the proportioning valve is not centered.
If your indicator light has an ignition 12V power going to it and then the ground gets split to go to the underdash emergency brake mechanism switch and then also to the underhood proportioning valve, disconnect one or the other but not both and see if the light then goes off all the way.
When the underdash emergency brake is set, the light comes on bright so with the emergency brake inside the car not engaged or on I wonder if the secondary switch on the proportioning valve is creating a ground but not a good one that has a high resistance and allows the light to be dim but not bright ?.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2023 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
I will try those options. Thanks Jim!
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2023 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
Did you figure out anything ?
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
dino69 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2023 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dino69
I did not, and I'm chasing another issue now where part of the taillight comes one when the left door activates the A pillar switch. I must have a bad ground somewhere but have yet to find it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic