the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5706 And Fuel Pump Kill, Not Starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amcclay 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2024 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote amcclay
Hey all,
Well I burned a few hours on this and then stumbled on this forum which seems to be full of brilliant minds with experience with solving problems like the one I am facing.
Basically, I am doing a relatively straightforward alarm install of the Viper 5706v. It's going in an old miata and is primarily a security measure rather than a convenience function.
My question is pretty straightforward (I hope); Do the 5706's 'built in' relays have the ability to act as an 'ignition interrupt'?
I know they can act as a starter kill, but my goal is to interrupt the actual ignition as my car is a manual and can easily be bump started (which thieves have tried to do on 3 different occasions), rendering a starter kill kind of useless.
I'd much rather interrupt the ignition connection so that, when armed, the internal viper relays prevent the ignition from firing (but allow the starter to turn).
There is of course the pink wire which is used for "Ignition In / Out", but as far as I can tell this only serves as an "Ignition Sense" function for the alarm to know when somebody is trying to turn the car over when the car is armed.
I was hoping there would be a way to cut off the ignition altogether similar to the way the starter would be.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Miata
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2024 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote silvercivicsir
internal relays, no benuo.. but you can always use an external relay, and use the GWA ground when armed to isolate any wire you want, such as ignition,/ fuel pump
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2024 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
You have to use an external relay. Use the Ground When Armed output of the 5706. I didn't look up the 5706, but the GWA on DEI is typically orange.
Cut the wire you want to interrupt.
86 and 30: Key-side of the cut wire.
87a: Car-side of the cut wire.
85: GWA from the 5706
87: Not Connected.
Using the above scheme will not energize the relay unless the GWA is grounded. So no battery drain with the car parked and security armed.
amcclay 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2024 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote amcclay
Thank you. Sorry for the delay. I appreciate the explanation.
I have a couple of questions:
First, if I use a relay on GWA to “open” the circuit for my fuel pump / ignition, won’t that mean the relay will be energized all the time while the car is sitting and the alarm is armed thus draining power (however slowly)?
Also, if I use GWA, would this also mean that a thief could cur power to the alarm altogether and subsequently defeat the kill circuit since it won’t be energized anymore?
My goal here is to have the fuel pump simply NOT able to operate unless the alarm is DISarmed.
It sounds simple, but I’m finding it hard to figure out.
It’s almost like I want a “ground when DISarmed” wire.
Miata
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2024 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote t&t tech
Good evening from my side of the pond. Let's answer you one by one.
1) With the setup posted by Mr.Davep, the relay won't be energized when the vehicle is switched off.
2) Yes is the simple answer to that question.
3) Following Mr.Davep setup will achieve your desired result.
4) This is a completely different direction you moved in. Maybe consider using a switch to energize the relay instead of the alarm.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
amcclay 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2024 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote amcclay
Thank you! For some reason I was ONLY thinking of the GWA side of the equation and NOT the fact that the ignition switch itself would also be required to energize the relay and thus the fuel pump.
So, basically the example is (to use pseudocode)
if (GWA != ON) && (Ignition == ON) then Supply Power To Fuel Pump if ELSE No Power
I didn't realize that 87a provides power when UNARMED (IE GWA is NOT active) which is exactly what I wanted, so that there is no current draw not the relay when the car is off.
Thanks!
Viper 5706 And Fuel Pump Kill, Not Starter -- posted image.
Miata

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic