the12volt.com spacer
icon

2006 Dodge Caravan, Keyless Entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobster99 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2024 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bobster99
Good Morning.
I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan that I just want to add Keyless Enry to but with most everything there is always a wrinkle.   I have owned this car for years and many years ago a Body Shop fried the ECU, likely by reversing the polarity on the battery.
This car has an old school ECU so it was rather easy though a bit expensive to just replace the ECU. At the time, the Factory Keyless Entry Fob was acting a bit flaky and since I only had one Key Fob, I couldn’t just buy another key fob and replace the one that is worn out.
With these ECU’s if you install a new ecu and leave the SKREEM module unplugged the ecu assumes that the car didn’t come with Keyless Entry and with the exception of a small led on the dash, you would never know that the SKREEM module is disconnected. Now I could use any $2 Chrysler key to start the car and it isn’t like someone is stupid enough to try to steal a 2006 Caravan.
I would like to bring back the keyless entry…. As mentioned above, I am not looking for an alarm or remote start, just a basic keyless entry. Re enabling the OEM system would likely be expensive, I would need a couple of new keys, the PIN to the SKIM module (I can’t find a locksmith that will touch that) and it isn’t clear if I were to plug in the SKIM module now if the ECU would recognize it or just decide to brick itself.
There are plenty of cheap keyless entry units out there but in reading this forum, it looks like I should use a pair of relays and two resistors of specific values to trigger the Doors to Lock/Unlock.
I have found multiple “Door Lock Relay Units” that are quite reasonable in price and some of them even list that they include Resistors but none of them have a wiring diagram and the one site I found that might have what I am looking for requires me to be an Authorized Dealer to access.   
Does anyone out there have any experience with something like this and a suggestion how to do this?
In theory if I got two relays and used either the positive or negative trigger to activate each relay with a the right resistor going to ground, it seems like this would work.
Any suggestions?
Bob
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,792
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2024 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Do the Caravans' power door locks work from the interior door control buttons?
Do you have a RKE system purchased or still need to buy one?
If Yes and "need to buy", check out the Avital 4101L system. Some are listed on EBay for around $50.
This system has internal lock relays, two remotes and a 500' range. All you would need are the correct value resistors, 5.3k and 2k ohms.
Here are the necessary wires :
Power Lock      Purple / Dk. Green      -5.3k                @ BCM, white 34 Pin plug, pin 21
Power Unlock      same as power lock wire -2k              @ BCM, white 34 Pin plug, pin 21
Notes: Lock is negative trigger thru a 5.3K ohm resistor. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 2.0K ohm resistor. MUST use relays.
The BCM (Body Control Module) is in the driver kick panel near the parking brake. It has 5 plugs in it, one 6 pin plug and four 34 pin plugs.
Parking Lights    WHITE/BROWN    (+)   LOWER DRIVER KICK IN REAR BODY HARNESS
We could supply the necessary wire connections with this system and your 2006 Caravan.
Soldering is fun!
bobster99 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2024 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bobster99
Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy at work and temporarily lost the link to the forum
The OEM door locks work just fine, all buttons and actuators are good
I was unable to find the Avital 4101L but Amazon lists these
Avital 3100LX Security System
Avital DEI2101L - KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM
Do you know if these have internal relays or do you have a better suggestion?
Thanks for all of your help
Bob
Bob
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,792
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2024 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Sorry for the typo. Yes indeed it's the Avital 2101L.
It's the resistors that might be hard to find. !/8 or 1/4 watt should be fine.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic