icon

2- 4 ohm svc subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cosmic charlie 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
   Hey all, Can anyone reccomend an amp that would be able to power 2 12" kappa perfect 4ohm svc subs safely. Somewhere bettween 600 and 700wrms. Im kinda new to car audio and understand series and parrelell wiring but I dont fully understand 2ohm stereo and 4 ohm mono and which amps would handel what. Should I go with 2ch 300x2 or 600 x1. something reasonable on the wallet maybe 300 to 350 dollar price range if not lower,I kinda like US Acoustics but I dont know if they would be compatable with my ohm load. Any suggestions. Thanks     CC
Cosmic Charlie
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

2 ohm stereo is basically a stereo/2 channel load, and each channel is getting 2 ohms.  A 4-ohm voice coil DVC sub with its voice coils wired in parallel would give you a single 2 ohm load.  You could then put one of these subs on each output channel, and the amp would see a 2-ohm stereo load.  With most 2-channel amplifiers, a 2-ohm stereo or 4-ohm mono/bridged load is the best way to maximize its potential power output.

A 4-ohm stereo load is really the most basic setup:  a standard 4-ohm subwoofer connected to each of the amp's 2 channels.  This is the simplest way to hook them up but usually not the best if you want to get the most out of your amp.  My friend has two 10" kappa perfects and for a year or two he head them hooked up to a Rockford Fosgate 800a2 2-channel amp as a 4-ohm stereo load.  With that amp, it was sending 200 something watts RMS to each sub and believe me they hit hard.  But he always wished he had a mono amp or really any amp that would handle the 2-ohm mono load safely.

I'd say look at the JBL BP600.1 mono amp.  It's 1 and 2 ohm stable so you could run your subs in parallel and it will send 300 watts RMS to each of them.  I know I've seen them on ebay real cheap in the past but I just did a search and couldn't find them, I think because they came out with a new model this year.  Still, $334.95 is not bad at all for that much power.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
cosmic charlie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

Hey esmith69, Thanks alot for your quick reply, I was thinking about the jbl 600.1, but wasn't sure if  the 600.1 was a 2 ch that would have to be bridged to achieve 600 wrms. Does That amp has 1 or 2 speaker outputs if 1 great. I heard alot of the mono sub amps have 2 outputs, thats where I was confused, didn't want to lower my impedence to an unsafe load. So you say run them in par to the amp will be safe. What about the us acoustics usx 800f would that run 2ohm safely like you suggested for the jbl's or are you familiar with that brand. the reason I ask is I'm running the usx 4065 for my sats and the usx 2100 bridged for my 1 perfect and I like the sq and vol I get but would like to add some more bass. any other suggestions appreaciated   thanks again CC

ps I will probably use the usx 2100 for a good set of comps if I do what I plan

Cosmic Charlie
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

The JBL is a 1-channel mono low-frequency amplifier, and it will put out 600 watts RMS @ 1 ohms or 2 ohms.  Don't worry with this amp you will never run an unsafe speaker load.  I've heard of these amps running down even below the manufacturer recommended 1 ohm.

The USX-800f is a 2-channel amp that will put out 800 watts x1 channel @ 4 ohms bridged.  You cannot bridge this amp to a 2-ohm load, though.  It's minimum impedence is 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms bridged.  If you just have 1 perfect sub (SVC 4-ohm) then that amp would actually probably overpower the single sub as you'd bridge the amp and be sending 800 watts RMS to the single sub.  If you are just going to be pushing one 4-ohm sub then you can get just about any 2-channel amp and bridge it to get the most power out of it.  If, however, you were going to push 2 infinity perfect subs, this USX-800f would send 300 watts RMS to each sub if you wired it up to a 4 ohm stereo load.

US Acoustics has a new mono amp out there that will do 300 watts RMS x1 channel @ 2ohms.  So that would mean 150 watts to each sub if you are doing two subs and want to stick with US Acoustics.

If you are going to be getting a 2nd perfect sub I highly recommend considering the JBL amp as it is a much stronger bass amp in my opinion.   It is also much more versatile in terms of how you can wire up subs to it.  The USX-800f will give you lots of good bass, don't get me wrong; if it were my decision to make though I'd get the JBL.

It should be worth mentioning, however, that both the JBL BP600.1 and the US Acoustics USX-800f are both discontinued items and so you will be limited in where you can purchase them.  Most likely ebay will be your best bet.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
cosmic charlie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
   Thanks esmith69,  I was on etronics earlier and saw the 600.1 for 199.00 but unavailable at this time. I think I will give them a call and see if they are going to restock them. That seems like the way to go thanks again CC
Cosmic Charlie

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic