icon

Does 2 subs wired parrel to a mono amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
syclone 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

Heres the deal I've always been under the impression that if you have two subs run bridged on a amp or on a mono amp then they are both getting the rms of the amp.  The problem is everyone in my area installers included seem to think that say you had a 500 rms amp with two subs wired to it then they are getting 250 each.  I've noticed that lightning audio and others make combos like two 12's and an amp etc.  For instance they will have two 4ohm svc 12's that hold 100 rms with a mono 250 rms amp.  So its got me wondering what the real deal is.  I know that people around here that go to those installers I've mentioned above go throgh a lot of speakers and mine just keeps on playing.  I would appreciat info from someone who knows the real truth.  Thanks

Syclone

Detail is everything
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

A mono amp rated for 250 wattts RMS x1 channel @ 2 ohms, will put out 125 per sub, regardless of how the subs are wired up, as long as they are hooked up in such a way as to present that single 2-ohm load to the amp.  When you connect two subs up to its outputs, both subs will get the same amount of power, whether it's series or parallel wiring.  Obviously for that example the simplest way would be to hook up two 4-ohm subs in parallel.

Now if you have a 2-channel amp that is rated for 200 watts RMS @ 4 ohms stereo, and 500 watts RMS x1 channel @ 4 ohms bridged, then two 2-ohm SVC subs wired in series to the amp's bridged outputs (usually positive left and negative right) will each get 250 watts RMS.  Two 8-ohm subs wired in parallel will also get 250 watts RMS per sub.

A single 2-ohm voice coil DVC sub, with its voice coils wired up in series, will present a single 4 ohm load to the amp and so each voice coil would receive 250 watts RMS, or 500 watts RMS total for the whole sub.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
audioconnection 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
well they are right about the power issue, if you have a 500 watt amp and ad two speakers regardless of what they are rated at they will both get 250 watts. however what you should be concerned with is how they are wired to they amp and what impedence are the speakers. these are questions to answer when you compare your systems performance to you friends. also..reember this, itrs always better to over power a speaker than to under power it.
remember...Friends Dont let friends Install, Take it to a pro..
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
The output of the amp gets split between the subs attatched to the channel(s). You have to really look at the specs first though to make sure you're using the right numbers, and have the right ohm load.
For example, a mono amp (rated at 250 x 1 @ 2ohms) and two 4ohm SVC 100RMS 200Peak subs. The subs would be wired in parallel for a 2ohm total load at the amp. Each sub would essentially receive apx 125 watts. 250watts divided by 2 subs = 125watts per sub. This is a good match. But remember that along with planning, you also need good equipment to make a system work right. Any system with low quality equipment (I'm just saying that for a point because I have no idea what the installers in your area sell) can blow very easily regardless og the setup.
Here's another example using incorrect planning this time (different amp same subs). A 2-channel amp (rated at 100 x 2 @ 2ohms, 50 x 2 @ 4ohms, and 200 x 1 @ 4ohms) and two 4ohm SVC 100RMS 200Peak subs. At first glance the RMS ratings match up (after all it is a 100 x 2 amp), but you have to look at the ohms. You only have 3 ways to hook up those subs to that amp...
1) Wire each sub to its own channel. However since they're 4ohm SVC's each channel sees a 4ohm total load. The amp only puts out 50watts per channel at 4ohms.
2) Wire both subs in parallel (+ to + and - to -) to the left channel only. So you now have a 2ohm total load at that channel for the 100x2@2ohm rating. But, since only 1 channel is being used, that 1 channel is only getting 100 watts then each sub still only gets 50 watts.
3) Here's your bridge. Wire both subs in parallel and bridge the amp (using the left - and the right + on the amp). So now your amp will produce 200watts, and with 2 subs each one gets 100watts so this is perfect right? Wrong. Because since the subs are wired in parallel the amp sees a 2ohm total load again. Based on the ratings of the amp (can be obtained from the manufacturer for different amps) it is not 2ohm stable bridged, only 4ohm bridged. You may get some sound for a while, and you'll get the 100watts per sub, but you run a strong risk of frying the amp because the impodence (ohms) was too low when bridged. It's a very common mistake. Stereo means 2, Mono means 1. There IS a difference between an amp rated at 400x1@4ohms and one rated at 400x1@2ohms. If you fry an amp and it doesn't have good protection circuitry then it can damage the subs as well.
Hope that helps
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic