icon

needing a amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davywavy4186 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

hey i got 2 type r subs 12" sitting in my custom box with no amp and was hopin someone could help me pick out one im not that big of a budget so the better ......... the better and my deck is a sony CDX-M800

sry im not to sure on all the specs i bought them from a friend and he made the box himself and omg is it nice i heard it in his car when he had them i bought it all for 200 theese r my first but ya they beat pretty nice till i can get some more money

thanx for the help

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

Well actually it's fairly important that we know which Type Rs these are and how they are wired up inside the box.  They make the Type R in a 2-ohm voice coil DVC and a 4-ohm voice coil DVC, and what kind of amp you get depends heavily on what kind of speaker/sub load it will have on it.

If you have the 2-ohm DVCs these are your wiring options;  and if you have the 4-ohm DVCs then these are your wiring options.

With the 4-ohm DVCs you can use just about any 2-channel amp out there and bridge the amp to a single 4-ohm load to push both subs.  With the 2-ohm DVCs youwill need an amp that can handle a single 2-ohm, which will almost certainly only be a subwoofer amp cuz hardly any 2-channel amps can be bridged to a 2-ohm load.

Think about the JBL BP600.1--it will handle both the 2-ohm subs and the 4-ohm subs and will send 300 watts RMS to each sub.  Only probably is it might be hard to find as it's a discontinued model I think.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
davywavy4186 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
hey thanx ya sry i dont know the specs i dont know much of audio but i do know how that all works with specs any other suggestions for amps cause iv had a hard time finding that jbl my friend was saying he had 500 watt idk wut brand on them and they hit about 136 so idk tho im sure u guys have seen more then me and him combined but its all good rite
Lebult 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

You'll need to know the stats, cause Type R's come in 2 Ohm and 4 Ohm Impedence. Take a look at the bottom of the speaker, it should say what it is or ask ur friend what it is.. If not, then take it to an installer somewhere and have them rig it up and test it.

Both speakers have the same general stats;

• power range 100-300 watts RMS (150 watts RMS per coil)
  • peak power handling 1,000 watts
  • But the Amp you need all depends on your impedence, and how you wire them together.

Check this if you're not sure how to wire them
    http://www.justwoofers.com/Tech/Wiring/Main.htm

For amps, looking at your Sub Specs, the Boss Audio"Chaos" Avarev800 for the 4 Ohm or the POWER ACOUSTIK "Gothic" OV2-1200 for the 2 Ohms should be good. The Boss Chaos is a 4 channel Amp, that can be bridged(one speaker to 2 channels) to (1200Watts Max)300Watt RMS x 2 at 4 Ohms. The Gothic is a 2 channel Amp rated (1200Watts Max)300Watts RMS x 2 at 2 Ohms. Look for them on Ebay, or this place ( http://www.justamps.com/ )and you can get them pretty cheap.

At JustAmps, the Chaos is $165 and the Gothic is $155 (w/o Shipping)

Good luck with you subs.

davywavy4186 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: June 13, 2003 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

thanx i will try and get the specs up

bberman1 
    Gold - Posts: 2,314
    Gold spacespace
    Posted: June 13, 2003 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

I would stay away from the amps listed above. I would suggest you look at more reputable manufactures. As soon as you post how many ohms they are I will give you some suggestions.

Lebult 
    Copper - Posts: 66
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: June 13, 2003 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

Why, whats wrong with them??

Mine works fine and I didn't pay $600+ for it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic