icon

Car audio in your house?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
undecided5150 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2003 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

I'm experimenting with certain ideas and I wanted to run my head deck, speakers, and amplifier in my house.  It's a long story why I want to, but I can't find a power supply that has enough amp output.  The closest thing I've found was a 120v ac to 12 vdc with a max of 10 amps output.   Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can use to run the equipment simultaneously because I need more than 10 amps?  I considered just using a car battery, but then I have to recharge it when it dies, and I don't have a battery charger.   Does anybody know where I can get what Circuit City and places like that use?

Thanks

Thanks,
Undecided5150
MielGibson 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2003 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
How about a 30 amp battery charger? The catch is that you have to modify it. Or go to back to Circuit City and ask them where they get the power supplies to demo their equipment.
Orang 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  

Previously posted by undecided5150:

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can use to run the equipment simultaneously because I need more than 10 amps? 

The alternatives:

1.  Use a computer power supply - depending on the model, it can supply 25 to 30 amp.

2. Make your own power supply. Get at 30 or 50 amp transformer (primary 120v secondary 12v) and buy 4 diode (match the amp) and 1 electrolit capacitor (4700uf 12v), then bridge the diodes and use the capacitor as a buffer. Basically is the same as  the first figure on this link:  http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/phy3061/lab04.html  Read the warning about working with AC "line" if you decide to do this.

I would say first alternative is way cheaper but less fun.

bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

Orang what kind of computer are you talking about ?  Computer power supplies are between 300 and 400 watts. And if you divide that by 120 volts they can only supply 2.5 and 4.1 amps . So where do you get the 20 amps?

As for the idea of building the power supply , you need to regulate the voltage or risk damaging the equipment. just go out and buy a 30-40 amp power supply. Try one of this in here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&GlobalSearch=3&manufacturer=159&cat_id=53

Orang 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

Previously posted by bdl666:

Orang what kind of computer are you talking about ?  Computer power supplies are between 300 and 400 watts. And if you divide that by 120 volts they can only supply 2.5 and 4.1 amps . So where do you get the 20 amps?

As for the idea of building the power supply , you need to regulate the voltage or risk damaging the equipment. just go out and buy a 30-40 amp power supply.

Actually computer power supply can supply 30A at 5V, 20A at 3.3V and 15A at 12V. I have one of these power supplies on my server.

As for the idea of building the power supply. It is actually better to use regulator but you do not really need a regular if  your AC line is stable (does not fluctuate that much) and clean.

bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

You do need  the rectification  because even though the 120v line is pretty stable the output from the power supply will not be. And many HU will not tolerate more than 15v for long. 

Orang 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

Previously posted by bdl666

You do need  the rectification  because even though the 120v line is pretty stable the output from the power supply will not be. And many HU will not tolerate more than 15v for long. 

I don't want to start a flame here but, I used to have a home made power supply (exactly what i describe above no rectification/regulator) feeding SONY MP3 HU and 12v sub. They were running happy for about a year.

BTW, bdl666 did you edit your post, I was repying to your now-edited email that says something about 1800 watts. 

Computer power supply  that has 30A at 5, 20A at 3.3A and 15A at 12v draws only around  (30x5)+(20x3.3)+(15X12)= 392 Watts which is normally printed 400 Watts or for 300 Watts with slightly lower amperage for 12V or 5V NOT by multiplying 15x120 = 1800 Watts.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic