icon

please help i may have screwed up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toykilla 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
first layer we put too much harder and wasted tons of resin because it kept hardening too fast
next few layers i dont think we put enough hardener... it is 10 hours later and the stuff is still pretty sticky/gooey.
did i totally screw up or will this eventually set/harden? is there something i can add to it to harden it or do i have to start over?
please help!
Carbonman 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

it will eventually harden, depending on how much hardner you used.  What ratio were you mixing it at? should only be about 1-2% by volume. Always remember to MIX thoroughly, getting the bottom and sides mixed in. If you use a lower ratio like 1% then you should have about 15mins to do your layup. Also, resin cures ALOT faster when its in a cup, if its on a board or spread out over a larger surface are it won't harden as quickly

Don't add more hardner or anything to it either, you may try using a heatgun and lightly go over it with lots of patience to speed up the exotherm. Try this first

You could also, IF THE LAYER UNDER IT is slightly tacky, add your next layer on top of it and that will cure the layer below. This isn't really recomended though, as you may have delamination as it cures.

good luck

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
are you just guessing the hardener amounts? I have tried just guessnig but it usually doesnt work that well lol . you can easily guess body fille rhardener amounts but FG resin is much harder.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
its hard to get it perfect but remmeber you have to bring temp into the picture cause if it is cold out . it will take a lot longer to dry. or harden. you should be able to go over the tacky parts and you can try using a mix with a lot of hardener to sink in to what is currently there. it should harden quick and it may help you. plus if you use plastic container it allows the mixture to get hotter causeing it to harden faster so if you want more play time use a tin/aluminum type of can. can be bought in 2.5 quart styles just as a plastic can.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

I have done quite a few things with fiberglass resin, they ask you to measure the resin and then add so many drops of hardener, I have guessed each time just trying different amounts, I have done to much to where it seemed like it was going to burst into flames, but I have had the best luck just adding a small amount, and letting it sit out in the sun. If it stays gooey and does not sit in the sun at all, it will stay gooey. I do always mix it in the same size container so that I know about how much to use but I do not think that this stuff will ever turn out the same as last time whether you measure it or not, I just do not think that the resin stays consistent, but I also do not think that it matters if it does.

Matt

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
yea i have tryed many times to just guess but i just gave up now, i figure out the appropriate mix and use little 1 oz disposable measure cups for the hardener, its not all that accurate but its enough so it doesnt take forever or harden right away
sounds 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
i believe the best way is not to guess but to measure .every 500ml of resin usualy 1% which is 5cc's or for a little hotter 2% or10cc's any more will make it rubbery and it may not harden.
puresound
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
I always guess and never have a problem. It always hardens correctly and only clumps about 5 mins after I'm done with it. guess im just superman
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Nt2bfkwit 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
www.fiberlay.com   This site has a sqeeze measuring bottle with and little cup  at top.  This give very accurate measurements.  There is no guessing with this.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic