icon

96 Chevy Tahoe, daytime running lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MooseMe 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2003 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe LE.  5.7L w/ air.  I have a green headlight on my dash indicating daytime running lights.  But the lights don't work.  Anyone know where I can find the relays or sensors to try and fix the problem?  All help will be greatly appreciated.
chuck_tempe 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

i'm not an expert on that, but first, check to see if your brake light indicator on the dash is working.  on gm vehicles, the daytime running lights (drl) turn off when the parking brake is on.

with the ignition on, set the parking brake see if the red idiot light comes on the dash,  if it does and the drl (green) indicator goes off, then someone removed the fuse or relay that is underneath the hood.  with the parking brake on, the green indicator will turn off.

if there is no red brake light, then a previous owner may have bypassed the parking brake switch and/or remove the light bulb for the parking brake indicator.

the owner's manual should list a fuse location for the drl's and if it doesn't, call the parts guy at the dealer to see if there is a relay or fuse for it. (parts guys/gals are usually pretty helpful on questions.)

MooseMe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.  That is one route that I haven't tried yet.  I finally found the relay under the dash next to the flashers relay, changed it, but no change overall.  Still no DRL.  But I will follow up with your advise and see if it is the answer.   THANKS!
chuck_tempe 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

hhhhmmmm, just one more thing that i just though of, some of the gm cars have a light sensor that automatically turn on the headlights when it gets dim outside.  if you vehicle has that feature, you could have a bad module that controls both of those features.

if there is a module like that in your tahoe and everything else works, i won't bother finding and changing out that module.  the cost might not be worth it.

personally, i don't like drl's.  it just makes you more noticible to cops that you are speeding their way and they can pick you out from a crowd of cars. 96 Chevy Tahoe, daytime running lights -- posted image.

me speed? 96 Chevy Tahoe, daytime running lights -- posted image.  ha, ha, ha...

MooseMe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  

Ha! Ha!96 Chevy Tahoe, daytime running lights -- posted image.

I know what you mean though.  I just like to trouble shoot issues with my vehicles to learn more about them and how they work.  This is driving me nuts.96 Chevy Tahoe, daytime running lights -- posted image. 

I have checked all the normal fuses inside the door panel on the dash.  All the fuses under the hood.  I also followed the advise about the parking brake.  After applying the brake, the brake (idiot light) indicator DID light up on the dash AND the DRL light DID go out.  When I released the brake, the brake light went out and the DRL light DID come back on.  There was one Relay under the dash on ANOTHER fuse block next to the flasher relay.  I even replaced that.

As far as a light sensor, I don't even know where to begin to look.  Dash? Grill area?

MooseMe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

Aahhhhh!

And the answer is:  The Diode

For all those concerned with DRL issues of them NOT working.....and WANT them TOO work. 

The obvious thing would be to check the fuses, under the dash and under the hood.  NEXT, try the relay under the dash to the left of the brake pedal it is directly to the left of the FLASHERS Relay.  Still if nothing, as chuck_tempe suggested earlier, check the parking brake.  the DRL's are designed to go off if the parking brake is activated.  As soon as the parking brake is released, the DRL's continue.  Still if nothing.  AND I TELL YOU this is where I ended up.  There is a "Diode" under the dashboard right about where your right knee would be as you sat in the truck.  It is most likely black and has cooling fans all around it.  This needs to be changed out.  This was the answer for me. 

96 Chevy Tahoe, daytime running lights -- posted image.CHUCK_TEMPE- Thanks for your help!!!96 Chevy Tahoe, daytime running lights -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic