icon

Need Some Advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheMadScientist 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
I have put a sony head unit in my friends car. I have ran all of the wires through his factory wiring harness only to find out that his factory wiring harness was bad, so I ran new wires (hot,ground,memory,speakers,...etc.) and I'm about to place new speakers in the doors and rear deck.My friend is wondering how much to pay me ,but I really don't want to charge him much because actually it's a girl who hopefully i wil be dating soon. So can anybody give me an estimate on how much other people would charge or how much I should ask for....any suggestions are appreciated.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
I would normally charge about $150, but in your case I would suggest instead of taking cash that she just takes you out to dinner.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Holly Profit Margin Bat Man!!!!!
I want to work for you bberman1! If I or any of the other two shops in my town charged that much for a install then Wal-Mart would run us out of business and everyone in town would be installing there own stuff.
The labor rate in my area for a deck install is $30. If you have to rewire the car its $75.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

Don't charge her for any of the labor, and when she asks why she should let you do it for free, just tell her you "like helping people."  That is guaranteed to win you MAJOR points with any female.Need Some Advice -- posted image. 

Anyways, here in the DC metro area, we charge $56 for a deck install, $41 for a pair of speakers, and $45-75 to rewire the whole vehicle.  So labor total would probably be right around $200.  That's pretty much a typical rate for around here, although some of the local small shops would probably end up charging a bit more.

Needless to say we have a LOT of competition around hereNeed Some Advice -- posted image.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.
luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

The Mad Scientist, huh?  Maybe I should've picked up that name.  Lord knows I've blown enough things up...

Hmm, head unit install, two pairs of speakers, and new wires.  Labor here would have been $35 for the HU, $30 per pair for the speaker installs and $30 per pair of speakers for the wires.  Grand total $155.
Tell her the fee is dinner for two, clothing optional.  Bberman and Esmith both have good ideas, but just say that as a fee she has to let you take her out to dinner.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Good payment options everyone.
madsci; just make sure in the future you dont refer to her as a him....that definatly wouldn't rack up any quality points. Need Some Advice -- posted image.
Take care, Eric
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2003 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Well, bad news guys. She got her a man before the job was done. I could have easily done all of it in one day, but her dad hadn't got her new speakers yet so now I have to wait until they get in before I can finished the job. Well, talk to you guys later.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic