First build of Sub Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
graemesimpson 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Well at the age of 45 I am going to attempt to make a custom sub box for my Mk2 MR2, I have designed a wedge shape and the Cubit Capacity works out at 0.38656, I am hoping to use the Kenwood KFC-W2005 8" Sub, which has a VAS of  0.313 cu.

Will my box be okay with this sub. 

2nd....Do I have to line each inside surface of the box with any sort of acoustic material.

3rd  Would it be advisable to fill the box with wadding.

Finally ANY other advise would be really appreciated.  Oh forgot, my amp is a Sony Xplod 440w 4Channel.

Thanks

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

My first thought would be you should make it slightly smaller so that the subs don't start to perform as if it's a freeair application.  Also remember that the sub itself will take up approx. .03 cu. ft. (don't know what that translates into for your units), so take that in to consideration.

you might wanna check out this page as it gives a lot of good info and is probably better at explaining things than I am.

The interior surfaces of the box should not be lined with anything; this is one reason why I prefer MDF over HDP, because MDF is less porous and so less sound will get absorbed into the wood if you use MDF.

Are you using the sony amp just to power this single sub?  Or are you going to be running other speakers off the amp as well?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
graemesimpson 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

How much smaller would you recommend, it is currently APPROX 20" wide by 7" deep x 9" hight, BUT the front panel slants in at the top, so the top is actually 4" wide.    If you know what I mean.

I am using MDF so I wont bother lining the inside then.  The amp will be powering my 4 speaker system PLUS the Sub.

Graeme

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2003 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
I ran your dimensions and came up with a net internal volume of 0.396 cu ft. using 0.5" (1/2") MDF in the calculation. Like esmith69 said though, you also have to factor in the displacement of the woofer (and any ports or bracing) to find the gross internal volume.
I couldn't find any specs from Kenwood on the recommended enclosure size or displacement. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen I was thinking a net of around 0.30 cu ft.
Net Internal Volume: The total internal volume of an enclosure (not including the sub displacement, port, or bracing). This is usually what the manufacture's will recommend as the "Optimum Internal Volume" for a specific sub.
Gross Internal Volume: When you're designing an enclosure, you have to factor in the volume (in cu ft.) of the sub (displacement), ports, and bracing. Then add that amount to the Net Internal Volume to get the Gross Internal Volume. This is the Total Internal Volume that you need to achieve in order to have the correct (or recommended) Net Internal Volume.
"Net Internal Volume" + "volume of all items inside the enclosure" = "Gross Internal Volume"
or
"Gross Internal Volume" - "volume of all items inside the enclosure" = "Net Internal Volume"
After you have calculated the required Gross Internal Volume, you have to start factoring in the thickness of your building material (0.5" MDF, 0.75" MDF, 1"MDF, etc...) That's where the online calculators come in handy, because they allow you to easily (and quickly) change the External Dimensions to achieve the desired Gross Internal Volume.
I am new to enclosure building myself (I had to learn quite a bit!) but from what I've seen 0.75" (3/4") MDF is usually the minimum recommended size for 10" and larger subs. 0.5" (1/2") can tend to flex and cause distorted sound. But I guess its ok for an 8" sub.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic