icon

Killswitch using stock horn button?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phamine 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  

Would that be feasable to use? I was thinking maybe I could disable the use of the horn when the car is off and use it as a killswitch if possible. Which is an efficient type of kill, ignition kill of fuel cutoff? How would I be able to wire it? This is for a 94 honda prelude.

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, interesting idea. I guess you'd have to make it so that the horn will work while you're driving, though....otherwise you won't pass inspection.
I think a fuel cutoff is better....ignition kill seems to be easy to bypass. I think the horn is too easy for a thief, though. Not like he'll hit the horn while stealing your car BUT, I'd rather have something that's completely hidden, and can't be hit by accident or something.
phamine 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, that was an idea. Disable use of the horn when the car is off to use it as a switch. And then allow it to be functional when the car is on. I have thought about using a conventional switch and then conceal but I like the idea of using the horns=D. I do have two horn buttons. I think I coould disable one of them, but I'd rather have them both fucntional when the car is on.

Any possible wiring schematics?

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

You could leave the horn wired the way it is now and have it disable the interrupt with the key in the run position. To start the vehicle you would turn the key to the run position, honk the horn, then start the vehicle. You can tie the blue lead shown below into the positive output from the horn relay at the relay or right behind the horn instead of connecting it to a remote turn on lead or power antenna lead.

Killswitch using stock horn button? -- posted image.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp#psk

Killswitch using stock horn button? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
phamine 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

The only problem with this method is that horn would sound. I have connected 150db airhorns and it will start to annoy my nieghbors in the morning.  

the12volt wrote:

You could leave the horn wired the way it is now and have it disable the interrupt with the key in the run position. To start the vehicle you would turn the key to the run position, honk the horn, then start the vehicle. You can tie the blue lead shown below into the positive output from the horn relay at the relay or right behind the horn instead of connecting it to a remote turn on lead or power antenna lead.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp#psk

the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
LOL, yeah, it would annoy me too :) Didn't know you had air horns, however it can still be done without sounding the horn using the configuration above with two additional relays and one diode. I'll post a digram for you here this evening.
Killswitch using stock horn button? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
the12volt 
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

This is basically two of the configurations above. On the bottom left relay, you will need to cut the positive lead going to the horn from the horn relay and connect each end as shown. The rest should be easy to follow. This set up will not let the vehicle start unless you turn the key to the run position, then hit the horn switch. The horn will not sound when you hit the switch until you start the vehicle (apply 12V+ to the motor side of the starter lead). When the ignition is turned off, the horn will not sound with the switch and the vehicle will not start until you repeat the process.

phamine 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you so much - going to wire as so=]

the12volt 
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
You're welcome, glad I could help ;)
phamine 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

Would the configuration change if i wired it as a fuel cutoff?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic