Help with Some Wiring Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ammonzenos 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I'm having problems doing so wiring for my stereo that I'm trying to install.  The problem with a Nissan Max is that the ground is the vehicle chassis, so what do I do with the ground wire for the stereo? attach it to the inside of the stereo slot? what's a good way to make sure the ground wire is attached to the chasis?

Also, the antenna wire for the nissan has two metal connectors, but my new stereo has only 1, is there an adapter for it or do I have to replace the whole wire connected to the car?

Thanks

chuck_tempe 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  

you need to attach the new stereo ground to a metal spot within the dashboard.  the original factory radio 'grounds' through the factory radio mounting brackets.

the antenna connector you have is for the factory radio's 'diversity' antenna system.  the factory radio uses and selects between two antennaes in the car for the better signal. one is in the rear glass and the other is on the fender.

if you follow the factory antenna wire back, you may find a regular 'motorola' (standard antenna) connector close by.  if you don't, then you would need to buy an adaptor for it.  i don't recommend cutting and splicing a new end.  the center pin wire is very skinny and a pain to solder a new plug.

oops, gotta go work in a few hours.  later.

ammonzenos 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info.  What is a secure way to attach the wire to a metal spot in the dashboard?

chuck_tempe 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

sorry, i didn't get back to you sooner.

what you could use as the grounding point would be the bolts or screws that holds the original factory radio.  just put the ground wire with the eyelet under one of the bolts and that should be fine.

as long as the ground wire touches bare, unpainted metal, you'll have a ground.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic