icon

Power for Multiple Neons + Switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MrStangMan 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Im looking to install some neons in my car.  Heres what i want to do.  I will have an underbody kit controlled by one switch on the dash.  Another switch will control the interior lights.  Im going to have a neon under the dash, possibly under the seats, the trunk, and possibly other places like the air vents.  So i will have like 4 to 6 neon tubes in the car i want to control with one switch.  Do any companies make 'distribution block' type things that allow you to hook up multiple neon tubes to one power source?  Or can i hook this many tubes up to the switch?  If you hook that many up to the switch, i think there will be a TON of wires connected, and if you solder them, if you ever want to remove one, it would be dificult.  It seems like if you could hook them into some sort of power distribution thing it would be easier, then hook up that power block to the switch?  Anyone who has hooked up multiple tubes on one switch, let me know how you did it.  Or if you have any other ideas, id appriciate input.  Thanks
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
Ok mr. stang here is what I suggest to you.
Run a 8ga power wire from the bat into your car fused at the bat. Run into a power dist block and into relays, one relay for each set of lights(under body, under seat, trunk, etc) If you want it controlled by ONE switch then run the switch wire to the relays to turn the lights on. Run mulitple switches if you want more control of the lights.
MrStangMan 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

Thats sort of what i was thinking.  Except, when you say run the 8g into a power dist block and into relays......  Wouldnt i want that block to do something like one 8g -> four 18g or something?  I dont know what gauge wire the neons are, my guess is somewhere between 16 and 20?  Do you know where i can get a dist block to do this, i havnt been able to find one.

My next question, which i hope someone can clear up for me is about relays.  I have read the articles about relays on this site, and have a very small general understanding of them.  What exactly is the point of using a relay to hookup the neons versus just soldering the neons wires directly to the switch.  I understand the switch will send power to the relay when turned on, and then the relay will switch on and send the power to the neons, but how is that better than just hooking the wires directly up to the switch?

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
hmm i thought i replyed to this.. Power for Multiple Neons + Switch -- posted image. anyway, since your current draw is low i would just get a terminal block at radio shack or an electronics dist. they allow for a bunch of spade connectors then use a barriar strip so they are all connected.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
i wouldent bother with the relay personally, just make sure the switch can handle the total current draw, and make sure you fuse the whole thing

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic