icon

Isolator vs. Parallel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ClimberChick 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
i need to hook up a second battery in the back of my van to run a light and a small tv/vcr off of, and possibly a small kitchen appliance every now and then. i will be getting a 2000 watt inverter (is this overkill?). do i need an isolator, or is there a way to run a parallel link to my main battery that will work okay?
ClimberChick 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
and what do you guys think of this http://www.egrproducts.com/solenoid.html ?
chuck_tempe 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2003 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

you seem to be going the expensive route.

you would be better of getting a tv/vcr that runs off of 12 volts instead of 110v.  the current drain will be much lower.  if you must run a small appliance, the inverter will work, but the 2000 watt inverter will draw ALOT of current.  it will kill a battery real fast.  an isolator will work but try a switch instead.  the solenoid looks like an old ford starter solenoid you can buy at the parts store cheap.

look at this instead:  www.overtons.com  and do a search for a battery selector switch made by perko instead, part number 31620.  it's much cheaper and doesn't use any current.

if you do a dual battery setup. you must run heavy gauge wires from the front to the back of the vehicle and you must use heavy duty resetable 'stereo amp' type of circuit breakers at the FRONT AND THE BACK at each battery.

if you don't, the wire could short and your vehicle will be in flames.

i don't know what kind of small appliance your going to run, but you could also use a gas generator.  you can find 12v blenders if that's what your running.  margaritas anyone? Isolator vs. Parallel -- posted image.

you can get more ideas from a camping and boating supply store or catalog.

ClimberChick 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

thanks chuck!

the tv that i am going to be running comes w/ both ac and dc cords and is for autos, but what i am more worried about is running lights w/ the van off and possibly having a blender (viva la margaritas!) or whatever i decide will make cooking on the road a little easier.

i currently have a 300 watt inverter. do you think that is enough?

i am planning on getting an optima blue top D34 battery which has both top and side posts. does that eliminate my need for a circuit breaker for that battery? i certainly don't want to set my van (aka- house) on fire. and what breaker do you recommend?

thanks again,

k Isolator vs. Parallel -- posted image.

chuck_tempe 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2003 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

the inverter you have won't be large enough, you may have to go to a 1000 watter.

it really depends on what the blender draws.  look for one that runs off of 12 volts.

if you plan on getting an optima battery, just put that in the standard battery's place.

with a two battery setup, you will need circuit breakers for the power wire that goes to the second battery (if it's in the rear).

if you are using alot of lights, you can kill the battery, but it will take quite a long time to do it.

did you check out the battery switch?

if you go camping alot and only use one battery, you can buy a 'booster pac' which is a battery with jumper cables made for jump starting cars and it also has a cigarette lighter jack on it to run accessories.  i've got one of those and it works great!

ex 12 year car stereo, alarm techie.
now in res/com low voltage,voice/data
donate HERE

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic