movement sensor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Glynn 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2002 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

Wanting to add to a very custom security install a sensor that triggers when the car is moved- ie rolled. A tilt sensor is part of the system, but this wont trigger unless the car is .....tilted. I want to trigger the alarm when the car is rolled or pushed.

I guess it would need to be mounted under the car, looking a movement from the ground. Or perhaps off one of the car wheels.movement sensor -- posted image.

Have thought about modifying a shop door sensor- the type that go 'bing' when you walk past or through the beam- infra red type. My concern is that it will be less sensitive (or won't work at all) at night. I would be fitting at least two and both must be activated before triggering the alarm-no false alarms from cats under the car etc.

Its part of a very secure alarm install-rings you when triggered, can ring the car back to remote start, need to ring the call also as part of the disarm procedure plus a whole heap more. Going onto a 1998 Subaru WRX STi-popular with the thieves here !movement sensor -- posted image.

Any thoughts ?

GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2002 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
thoughts: use your parking brake. That makes the car hard to "push" anywhere.
keep the shock/motion sensor in case they lift the front end to try towing it.
if its AWD, keep it in 4WD mode neutral. this locks the entire transmission so most people wouldn't know how to start the car and drive it.
wire in a hidden switch for the fuel pump to kill the +12V line to the pump. hard to wire a car when it gets no fuel.
use a radar sensor inside, so even if they get past glass break mic and impact, nothing inside the cabin can move without triggering the car. Another popular trick is an air freshener on the rear veiw mirror with a radar sensor. if the air freshener moves, it trips the alarm.
An electronic hood-lock bolt is another good idea. keeps thieves out from under the hood so they can't cut the battery feed or the siren. runs about $60 on autotoys.com if I recall, and you can disable it from your keychain remote's aux-1 button for 30 seconds when needed. Also has a cylinder key override in case your battery dies and ya can't unlock from remote.
problem with sensing motion under a car, is that anything from a cat to a wind-blown leaf will trip the alarm, and familiarity breeds contempt. People will ignore it after about 3 days.
Also consider a 2-zone radar sensor. This protects both outside and inside the car, by using a "warn-away" chirp sequence then trigger of alarm if people stand too closely to the car.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 28, 2002 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  

Hey   Glynn,

DEI is the answer to your problems as they have two TILT/MOTION sensors available.  The first one is the 507T (a DEI product) and the 905085 (a Clifford product).  Both are self adjusting digital sensors with 0.5 to 3 degrees of tilt with motion sensitivity.  Whether you park on a hill or level ground, you just arm your system and walk away. . . as easy as that!  They are both dual stage with warn-away outputs but the Clifford is more of a universal product.  movement sensor -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Glynn 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2002 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for your replys guys, but I'm sorry, thats  not  exactly what I'm after. I already am fitting a tilt/motion sensor -but these activate when the vehicle is tilted. I want something that activates when the car is rolled.

Yes, I am already locking the park brake. And yes I know about the netural/ AWD lock up, however its a manual. I know about all the other sensors and am fitting a large variety of them.

There will be know way a thief will be able to break into the car and it not activate. I have intergrated many 'back up' systems and varieing levels of protection.

I am aware of the 'leaf or cat' under the car- that why I'll fit two or three of the 'sensors' (at each end of the car and one in the middle) and all three must be tripped to activate the alarm. This should eliminate almost all false alarms.

Imagine this, thief cuts brake cable from under car. Then pushes car down the road. No tilting, no breaking into car, just gently pushing car down the road. This is what I want to protect against.

Thinking caps on, any other suggestions ?

mike751 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2002 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
check to see if you have optical or magnetic abs sensors for your brakes and use them. Be careful though you will be tied to the cars computer.
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2002 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Put your car into gear after you turn it off. That way if they cut the e-brake under the car they still cannot move the car when it is into gear.movement sensor -- posted image.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
alitaki 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2002 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Quote: Glynn wrote:
Imagine this, thief cuts brake cable from under car. Then pushes car down the road. No tilting, no breaking into car, just gently pushing car down the road. This is what I want to protect against.
Sound Pressure is right, it's a good habit to leave you car in gear. Secondly, if the car was to be rolled, then it would have to be on a perfectly smooth plane for the shock sensor not to pick it up.
What you need is an accelerometer sensor. I'm not sure if anybody manufactures such a device for security but, this will pick up any type of acceleration.
If you want to be creative, look into modifying a usb powered (5v) optical mouse - the type that light up when moved ever so slightly.
Nik

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic