Wiring Kits (what gauge?)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lebult 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2003 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hey,

I'm not sure what Gauge of wire to use for my power and ground cables, for my Amp install. I looked the chart here on The12Volt, and it says I should use 8 Gauge.

But what if I use 4 Gauge wire??

Will it be too much, or will it be fine??

Thanks in advance,

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2003 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
using large gauge wire will not harm it in any way, just cost more. It will actually offer less resistance. I would reccommend using 4 gauge incase you want more power later.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
How many watts is your setup?
ViperFreak_01 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Best bet is to go 4 guage, but 8 guage is usually suffiecient dependant on the wattage of your system...
MrStangMan 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone use 2 gauge?  According to the chart on the12volt, the suggests using 2 gauge for the distance and RMS i plan on pushing to my system.  I dont hear many people talking about 2 gauge, and 2 gauge wiring kits dont seem to be too popular.  I see a lot of people using 4 gauge.  I plan on running 2 subs that are 400W RMS (1600 Peak), plus another amp to push my speakers.  So i think im loooking between 800-1000W RMS.  I have a mustang convert, im not quite sure how long of cable it will take to run to the trunk though.  Any input is appriciated.
Cowboyclaude 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

Most people jump up to 1/0 wire after 4 guage. Once you get into the 1000w area, it's a good idea because you're going to be drawing a lot of current to feed those amps.

Also, make sure your alternator can provide that amount of current. What amps are you going to use?

MrStangMan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

Why do they skip 2 gauge?  Any particular reason?  I was thinking running 2g cause i dont think ill need 1/0g, but i guess too much isnt a problem, i might go with the 1/0, incase i ever decide to add anything else, it wont be a problem.  I think my alternator is 75A (03 mustang), is that enough to push around 1000W RMS?  I havnt decided on amps yet.. but probably something like jbl 1200.1, or a rockford fosgate that pushes around 800RMS for the subs, and something small to power the speakers.  So since 4 gauge is probably not enough for my system, you suggest 1/0 instead?

Thanks

ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
There isn't a whole lot of diffenece between the 2g and 1/o, only that there is more connectors and distribution blocks and such for the 1/0. I think the only company that offers 2g in a kit is Rockford Fosgate. Just make sure also that you upgrade the wires from your alternator to your battery and make sure you have sufficient capacitience for your amps. With a stock alternator and 1 1000 watt amp I would reccomend at least 3 farads worth of capacitience.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
drawing 1000 W RMS is around 80 Amps, at 100% effeciency, so you are looking at over 100 amps on a 75 amp alternator, you might want to upgrade that.
MrStangMan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking thatd be the response.  I wasnt exactly counting on having to install a new alternator.  Ive heard so many people talking about their high power systems, but havnt heard much about people upgrading their alternator.  Is it common and i just didnt realize it?  Would i still need to upgrade my alternator if i put 3 farads worth of capacitience in it?  I wont be blaring the system at full volume all the time, itll be loud, but not pushing all it can.  I guess ill have to wait till i make my final decision on what amps and stuff im going to use, and see if itll be necessary.  Thanks for the help guys!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic