icon

No Fuse?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Finishlyne 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2003 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
My friend is installing an amp himself, and hes telling me that you don't need a fuse on your power wire from his amp.  I know that you have to have one, but I can't convince him.  What would happen if he didn't have a fuse on his power wire?  Thanks.
-Andy
cool_greg 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
if the wire should get damaged... it heat up really fast, starts on fire, battery may explode showering acid everywhere, or catch on fire and the car would burn!!
Put a fuse in!!
Just a Guy, Wiring up those Vehicals
---------------------------------
Gool_Greg
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
If it shorts he will be lucky if the wire just lights on fire and thats it, In other words for skipping the instalation of a $5 fuse he could cause a few thousand dollars in damage.
testes 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
My friend put an 16 awg wire from his battery to a switch to run some neons.  He didnt put a fuse in and he ran the wire through the door jam and the wire melted and started smoking and melted some dash.  Idiot? yes indeed.  Just think if he was using a 4 or 8 gauge wire for an amplifier.
ezridr 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
As long as he is not installing the amp in your car, don't worry if he is ignorant enough not to listen to your advice, if it's in his own car I would suggest making sure you have a well thought out evacuation plan if you ever ride with him.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder"
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
hahaha maybe you can buy him a fire extinguisher instead...
Finishlyne 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot guys, he's convinced now and we got his amp hooked up today.
-Andy
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
hrmmm...
I have never used a fuse in my installs and everything is 1/0 wiring...I am not concerned with blowing anything up and I am not concerned with having fires in my car...I did everything myself and know exactly how much clearance every single wire has before it has any chance of contacting anything that could somehow damage the jacket...everything is securely fastened and I have never encountered a problem...
if you look at a fuse, take a real close look at the filament that carries the current...I think if you have 1/0 wiring and then u neck it down through a fuse (going from over 3/8" of conductive material to less than 1/8" of conductive material) there has got to be some power lost there...I have 1/0 off each of my batteries, 2/0 grounds, and 4 ga out of the distro blocks...the only fuses are in the amps themselves...
I would not reccommend this for any amateur, but I well understand the (small) risk that I take in not fusing this and I think its worth it to me...but as I said, I know where each wire runs and how it makes its way through the car and that there is no chance of it making contact with anything potentially dangerous...
if your friend is competent maybe you should let him be and let him do his install his way...food for thought...
cool_greg 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2003 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
You really don't have a clue do you, the fuse is there to protect the wiring and the electronics, if a fault developes some where the fuse blows proceting the wiring. Electronics fail and if they are fused then there are lots of sparks and fires, a car accident can damage the wiring, why do you think there is a fuse box in a car? It's not a small risk its a big risk not fusing.
Just a Guy, Wiring up those Vehicals
---------------------------------
Gool_Greg
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2003 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
cool_greg wrote:
Electronics fail and if they are fused then there are lots of sparks and fires...
lol...its been awhile since someone here has accused me of not having a clue in this game...and after this statement who doesnt have the clue?
my car is very simple electronically and therefore I dont have concerns about "damaging my wiring" or any part of the cars electronics system...I have a spare computer for my car in case something goes as well as pretty much spare everything else...and as far as fires go, thats what I have insurance for...I have been wiring this way for many years for my own personal vehicles and have never had so much as a spark...I will continue to do so and the advice of some noob on this forum is probably not going to sway my opinion or how I do things very much...
I know what I am doing and I know the risks I am taking...to me I am happy to take that risk...lol, at least until someone comes out with a fuse block that I like and then perhaps I will run dual 200A fuses or something...but until Monster decides to make something appealing, I will run fuseless...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic