icon

Dodge Caravan Rear Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjohnjr 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1999 dodge caravan sport. I repaced the head unit and the front dash speakers and the rear speakers.
I then took off the door panels and added speakers there also to help fill in the sound. Every sounds good, this van DOES NOT have the infinity sound system in it.
My sister has a town and county van and her van has 2 more speakers in the rear. They are up by the back window. I do not have them in mine. The plastic molds are about 2 inchs round and I would guess they are for tweaters of some sort. Is it worth all the trouble to try and get these rear panels off to put speakers in them and are there wires already there for them, I know in the door the wires were already there for door speakers which makes no sence since you only use the wires for the infinity sound system. I guess they use a standard wiring harness for all the vans with and without the infinity system.
Anyideas?
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Try it, but don't put tweeter on them. The Infinity sistem has tweeters and on the back the sound is not even(the tweeter is behind you and the woofer right next to you).

If you found the wires on the doors  the ones on the back should be there too.

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

Ah someone with a 96-00 caravan!  Lucky you, I know just about everything there is to know about this vehicle's stereo system as I have a 96 grand caravan (no infinity), and I too have installed extra speakers in the doors and rear tweeter pods.

I disagree with the comment about not putting tweeters back there. I will admit the rear side 6x9s are in a horribly designed location  and you'll be lucky if you get any bass out of them at all.  You've probably noticed that it's kind of hard to hear much of anything coming from those speakers, when you're all the way up in the driver's seat.

The tweeters, however, CAN be heard from up at the drivers seat and you would be happy with the extra high frequency response they will add.  Even though tweeters in the A-pillars would be more ideal, tweeters in the rear tweeter pods will still make the system sound better overall.  Unless you're more concerned with the imaging and high frequency response for the passengers in the rear seatDodge Caravan Rear Speakers -- posted image., you will like having tweeters there.  They are at a pretty good height and as long as you aim them properly you'll like it.

Does your van have the rear A/C & heating system in it?  If so, you may have a problem with the depth of the speaker you try to fit back there in the tweeter pods.  An aftermarket set of tweeters will fit but anything bigger will require a lot of extra work and cutting of panels and stuff.

The infinity tweeters are 2.5" tweeters that fit into a black plastic mount that's attached to the inside of that body panel back there.  Even in vehicles that did not come with the infinity system, there is wiring for speakers at all locations, including back there at the tweeter pods.  Also, the black plastic mounts are also located there in all the vehicles.

I've never measured mine, but according to Scosche, the size of the cavity for the tweeters is 2.5" W x 2.5" H x 1 5/16" D.  That's not a lot of room to work with and I can tell you from firsthand experience it is a pain.  I was able to work on mine without removing that whole rear side panel, although it was stupid and in hindsight it probably would have been easier to just done it the right way.

You have to remove the plastic ceiling panel in order to pry out on the rear side panel because the side panel extends all the way to the ceiling, all as one piece.  For the driver's side, you also have to take the jack out and remove two screws holding the panel in.  For the passenger side, the seatbelt bolt near the ceiling has to be removed.  Once you've done this, each panel should come out with a little prying--just spring clips holding it in at this point.

There will be plugs hidden behind one of those black plastic sticky insulation squares.  One on each side of the car.  Beware however that the factory plugs for the 6x9s have to be intact in order for the tweeter wiring to work properly.  If when you installed the 6x9s you either used a speaker harness or just tapped into the plug and didn't cut it off then the tweeters should work just fine.  If you DID cut the plug off, there should still be two extra wires around the 6x9 opening that need to be reconnected.  This is because the tweeters are run in parallel with the 6x9s.

Your stereo system should probably be able to handle the extra speaker load, but start out with caution.  I have all 8 speakers running off a single pioneer head unit with a mosfet 45 amp chip in it (pioneer says more than 2 pairs of speakers can be safely run off the single deck).

Just make sure if you do use a set of aftermarket tweeters, that they have some kind of crossover either built in or included with the wiring, because I'm pretty sure it's a full-range signal going to those tweeter pod wires.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
bigjohnjr 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the 6x9's are pretty bad, I changed them as well as dash speakers. Like I said I put speakers in the front doors as well.
Yes I do have rear ac.
I took the top trim down and removed the bottom trim also. The side panels have those damm white plastic clips holding them in place. I know if I pop the sides off I will break the clips, just like the ones for the door panels.
I was looking at parts express and they have tweeters of all diffent sizes. I am just not sure of the size untill I pop off the sides.
You said they are 2.5 round.
When I changed the 6x9's I used t taps on the wire so I did not cut the plug off at all. If I have to I will just run the wire behind the panel for the tweeters.
I would also love to put a sub woffer in but the lack of room in the back is a problem. One thing at a time.
Thanks...
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2003 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

Yea sounds like you'll be good to go with the wiring for the tweeters.

I have a sealed 10" box  with a thunder 6000 in it and it doesn't take up much room at all.  Mine is the grand caravan so i don't know about the sport.  Also I have my amp mounted on the box itself (which I really recommend against doing).

But I figure if my amp can withstand a tornado then it can handle being mounted to a subwooferDodge Caravan Rear Speakers -- posted image.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic